Looking for ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
No idea where to post this so went for "off topic"

I'm looking for a container to convert into a large planter. Approx dimensions will be between 6'-8' long 2' deep and 2'-3' high. So far my. Ideas are; galvanised agricultural aminal troughs, plastic water storage tanks or lastly make essentially a raised bed from masonry blocks. The intention will be to build a wooden facade so it's not an issue if the container is unsightly.

Can anyone think of an alternative container that I've not thought of? I'd be grateful of any ideas.

I made a very similar sized planter, a few years back.

I just made it in 18mm plywood, bought some EPDM roofing rubber and lined it with that - I did it in one piece and folded the corners.

For the drainage, I bought a sink waste, drilled a hole through then put the waste in, with some glue to seal between rubber and waste.

The planter has an Iroko facade, so it looks like a proper timber planter

Ditto Jacob.... we've done a similar thing.... I made a 5mtr long x 1mtr wide x 0.6 high, lined with what i think is dpm (she acquired it from somewhere 🤷‍♂️) using decking boards from Mr Wickes and painted the exterior wood with a Cuprinol 'Shades' paint. Her indoors plants stuff in it (i dont 'do' dirt..!!) and i enjoy the produce 😋

Why not just make one? Here’s one I made last week for the DiL about 2m long. Base put in about 300mm from the top, otherwise would have required over 0.5 cubic meters of compost. As it is, 360l, so plenty of growing room. Lined with heavy DPC so that the compost doesn’t dry out.

68A5FCDE-8ADC-46DE-9DA4-200E75363D48.jpeg

I made boxes 4'x8'x2' that are a little more utilitarian. Basically treated plywood and 2x4s built like wall and the attached at the corners. A 6" wide piece around the top to park my behind on. They are open to the ground they sit on and I lined them with the dimpled plastic used on foundations. That plastic is much more resistant to puncturing and separates the treated wood from the soil. With the cost of lumber now (four times last years) it would be cheaper to make a hill and terrace it. 😉

Before I went the concrete block route I would make a form to pour concrete into and use a portable cement mixer to make cement with. You could pour one every few days. You could even pressure wash the concrete after you take off the forms for the exposed aggregate look.

Pete

Ferrocement. Basically chicken wire covered in a thin layer of sand/ cement - 50mm thick. It's a bit of fuss, but lasts forever, is super strong as the kids would say, and perfect for a planter or grow bed.

https://www.milkwood.net/2010/11/08/how-to-make-ferrocement-garden-beds/
A bit ott for your needs: Building a Ferrocement Cistern

I have one that I built on top of a sheet of 4mm plywood - it seemed the easiest way of keeping it off the ground. It is 2.5 by 1.25m, and 300 mm high. I filled it with soil and grow asparagus reasonably successfully in it, but raised beds are not ideal in my climate. I do sunken beds - dig a trench half a metre deep, one and a bit wide, 15 metres long, line it with plastic and then fill it back in.

Why not just make one? Here’s one I made last week for the DiL about 2m long. Base put in about 300mm from the top, otherwise would have required over 0.5 cubic meters of compost. As it is, 360l, so plenty of growing room. Lined with heavy DPC so that the compost doesn’t dry out.

View attachment 110543
I made something similar years ago from some old floor boards. Looked OK but needed a brace across the middle to stop it spreading - soil is heavy stuff when wet. Used a strap hinge from my scrap heap.

I was thinking about a regular glass fibre bath, trim off all the top edges/ reduce the height to your requirements and make sure it sits below the soil surface,,super long lasting and probaly free from Freecycle.
Steve

Ferrocement. Basically chicken wire covered in a thin layer of sand/ cement - 50mm thick. It's a bit of fuss, but lasts forever, is super strong as the kids would say, and perfect for a planter or grow bed.

https://www.milkwood.net/2010/11/08/how-to-make-ferrocement-garden-beds/
A bit ott for your needs: Building a Ferrocement Cistern

I have one that I built on top of a sheet of 4mm plywood - it seemed the easiest way of keeping it off the ground. It is 2.5 by 1.25m, and 300 mm high. I filled it with soil and grow asparagus reasonably successfully in it, but raised beds are not ideal in my climate. I do sunken beds - dig a trench half a metre deep, one and a bit wide, 15 metres long, line it with plastic and then fill it back in.

Went with the ferrocement idea, thanks for the link and idea.

I'm going to build a facade with the offcuts of the decking I'm putting down so it'll end up a little more pleasing on the eye.

Very pleased with it. If I wanted to buy pots anywhere near this size it would have been 4 times the price.

IMG_20210712_182831.jpg
IMG_20210712_182837.jpg

Nice. Let it weather a bit, and it will look a passable imitation of a (very expensive) stone trough. Plaster some yoghurt on the surface to speed up algae/lichen growth

Heres another idea, bloke near here runs a swimming pool company & often replaces sand filters, they can be quite large & are usually made of fibreglass, usually they go in a skip. Cut them in half & block off the pipework holes & you have two planters.

Back