looking for Ideas for a 1HP motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Im looking for some ideas for things i could build for the workshop with a good quality 1hp motor; what have you guys made that became really useful?

I have considered a drum sander for a while as i have some smaller motors i could use for an infeed and heavy duty 2.5ft~ aluminum rollers already laying around but i think 1hp will be a weak link in what i could build (welded box steel frame, metal rollers etc)
A disk sander is a common shop-build i see but i do have a union grad with outboard sanding disk that's variable speed and makes the idea a little obsolete.
a 2x72" belt sander- another common diy build- I have already build with 3.5hp variable speed
It would be nice to have a pendant shaft hanging around but its not the most compact motor so probably not the plan for this one

I haven't actually picked it up yet but its a neat looking brooks crompton motor with pulley and belts for a steal locally and i do like to make things for the sake of making them, i'm just not sure what and thought i might find some sparks of genius here.. Or maybe not ;)

@Sideways No lathe to do that kind of work unfortauntely, i dont like the idea of slowing the union down so much but i could maybe find one that fits already. I just got back from picking the motor up and i'm happy with it. I thought it was a bargain as listed but i got there and it has a starting cap too so better torque so i might try the drum sander

@Sideways No lathe to do that kind of work unfortauntely, i dont like the idea of slowing the union down so much but i could maybe find one that fits already. I just got back from picking the motor up and i'm happy with it. I thought it was a bargain as listed but i got there and it has a starting cap too so better torque so i might try the drum sander
well there is your answer make a lathe.

home made and years old.....
IMG_7464.jpeg

or this, belt guards are now made....

IMG_0666.JPG

Back