Looking for help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see a thicknesser being a good option for this at all. Especially if the glue is only in patches it would be an absolute nightmare, and depending on the glue it could ruin the machine. If it's rock solid glue I would try a hand held electric plane on it but I certainly wouldn't use a good one.

GrahamF":11hl6mua said:
RogerS":11hl6mua said:
Feeding the stuff through a thicknesser is so simple. OK ...get a set of spare so you're not hanging around waiting for replacements to come if need be.

It seems several are suggesting he goes out and buys a thicknesser then runs adhesive and most likely some small bits of embedded concrete through it. I wonder how many would allow him to do a trial on their PT? My guess would be NO WAY!

We're not talking an expensive thicknesser. One from Aldi £189 for example.

RogerS":126wf5yg said:

£200 for a planer + spare blades, is a lot of money to some people and could be wrecked in very short time. Cheap or expensive thicknesser, the result will be the same.

My first attempt would be blowlamp and scraper, then multi-tool, then cheap power plane. It only needs a couple of inches cleaning off at whatever centres needed.

GrahamF":51gf7u6m said:
RogerS":51gf7u6m said:

£200 for a planer + spare blades, is a lot of money to some people and could be wrecked in very short time. Cheap or expensive thicknesser, the result will be the same.

My first attempt would be blowlamp and scraper, then multi-tool, then cheap power plane. It only needs a couple of inches cleaning off at whatever centres needed.

Everything we do costs time, money or emotion. It's an individual choice how they balance the three.

Ttrees":23dghc14 said:
Looks like it might be worth trying a Kutzall disc or cheaper alternative.
Maybe even a regular grinding disc might be worth a shot?
No doubt a flap disc would do the job, but it would be costly, maybe reasonable for the last pass though.
Tom
Thanks so much for this, I didn't even know what a Kutzall was, just lost about 90 mins on YouTube watching, there's even a chain saw cutter.
Which all brings me to safety kit
FFP3 mask for dust
Goggles
Gloves I assume
Anything I should look out for ?

I had a serious think about a thicknesser but my garage is about as full as it can be, so no room for one, which si a shame as I really liked that idea.

Of course if my wife would get rid of all her hoard of tat I'd have enough room for a party in there!

BTW EVERYONE Thanks for all the advice, I'll post back results when I've done some testing :)

I'd be very interested in how you get on. I've got a stack of oak boards with exactly the same issue. I've been considering angle grinder attachments so if the kutzall works that might be the answer!

Coyote":2ihfpghq said:
I'd be very interested in how you get on. I've got a stack of oak boards with exactly the same issue. I've been considering angle grinder attachments so if the kutzall works that might be the answer!

I'll let you know :)

In my mind I have the ultimate tool, but it just doesn't exist chatting to my builder neighbour all the glued stuff he get's just gets chucked in a skip..

RogerS":25h1393i said:
GrahamF":25h1393i said:
RogerS":25h1393i said:
Feeding the stuff through a thicknesser is so simple. OK ...get a set of spare so you're not hanging around waiting for replacements to come if need be.

It seems several are suggesting he goes out and buys a thicknesser then runs adhesive and most likely some small bits of embedded concrete through it. I wonder how many would allow him to do a trial on their PT? My guess would be NO WAY!

So the concrete was something I've already thought about and you're right, I'm a pretty generous guy but not sure if I let someone run it through a thicknesser if I had one!

A heat gun and scraper I've already tried it was a disaster.

So I've settled on as a trial angle grinder with a variety of kutzall disks, well that sort of thing and I'll see how they go.

I shall report back though. I really appreciate everyone's help (hammer) (hammer)

So if only things were easy we wouldn't need forums.
I investigated the wood carving grinding disks which seemed like a great idea, well they still are but it looks like most come with an 16mm bore which is a WTF FFS moment as angle grinders in this country come with 22mm bore (Spindle) anyone have an idea of who where I can find a grinder with a 16mm bore?

So my adhesive is a bit less extreme than yours Brookster but this seemed to work pretty well. A bit of pressure for the thick stuff then back it off just before you get to the wood and it doesn't do too much surface damage. Took me about 5 min to get rid of 4 patches.

But - wear long sleeves and gloves as it pebble dashes you. And vent your workshop because it stinks....

8OnE8lDOk8Edd-yjProHovBcOUh0nQPjSoqPPiB40IkubHZQZs-9uSIxNujmdjQeC2y6llQg5a2FS2i2OYCM1scw5Lvx8XSSZaI0oZqNNIwAtN0dVg2npmnvu8Mrwgo5aDEmbrylpKXNOiG96vyGn7k9yjyC1QndMomKa7BBEyueTrO2YyM7ytUuEpdKsV4wZerMLoKFM7K7eYaQDBePAo2ykIldvMDTV4J_6J7gVA2RmuFxOU3q8GIqeYtXrlFaHAuFVNx8KCgcaUoPtI5jZ0z_LtcELwGYGLK-_POMEh0AYZA_iZEd19xysbqZMupwidwa8iraIFTbYOQ4hs-qoj-BWDTSAUOfkBHfDggWpHS9ynWrZcnLdO0u6AIUuPG_ASK_F2TvPo9AaPnzqltUurbf1A0C0pYSu6jMcpNhqN32S3dyB_CEVy7TX2h-MhSa4PjbMra996_v-PGqpvu-p0qzgViUZmOpXOUVeT53SvxXoeqVb8HLogq3dBzqShGwxs61qrm-lvQsSpc-wdn5zpiE3NgndqA7b5sUuY_UyaKVlb1Dy9Lbc96XxFEWxPShHGTtzv9gv_z_2HoxXZrz1wt9BcSxLB3xYflwcBcPGfx7cAtJ-3N5WoWSSmpJ6MLN80ZBBhKkQaoq5Pjzq6UwNOS0Y-Jjx39bcyMGBN98iGJWbTia5APej7vZVTTY=w577-h433-no

Oki doki so I finally got the stuff I ordered
1 x Makita Angle grinder
Several grinding thingumy bits for grinding different types stuff.

So I have a universal tool, I tried it I'd still be trying to get rid of the stuff next year using that. All it did was get sticky and blunt the cutters.

So I've written this if anyone else is planning on trying it.

Pics as well

So this is a sample of what I have mixture of glue and concrete,
1.jpg

So I tried a couple of different grinding disks
I tried this one first
2.jpg

It lasted about 60 seconds it just got clogged up and the concrete blunted it a abit as well.

NEXT I tried a disk that's for grinding concrete
3.jpg

So this worked pretty well, however what I found was that I had to chip stuff off first I had a couple of chisels (pretty old and ropey) but they were just too small, but then I happened on this bad boy that I bought ages ago and used twice
4.jpg
I sharpened it up with my new angle grinder
5.jpg

Cleaning that up took about 5 minutes it's the chipping that takes the time!
6.jpg

Just so my mash hammer doesn't get jealous here's a picture of that as well
7.jpg

What I liked about the grinder is that isn't tear the wood up.
8.jpg

I'll update when I've done more.

RogerS":1x5j89d8 said:
If you'd popped down to Aldi and got that cheapie thicknesser, you'd be finished by now :lol: :lol:

EXCEPT I'd have I'd have many broken blades , there's concrete all over the stuff ;)
But you're right I am thinking about a thicknesser for when it's all cleaned up :)

A thicknesser definitely shouldn't be going anywhere near that until the glues off. You're doing the right thing! Keep up the hard work!

Back