Looking for help with timber buying for a workbench project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, it's often the case that you can get hold of non graded timber that is a lot better than C16/24 and is cheaper too. the process the lumber mills seem to operate is a bit like automated bottom up which simply counts the knots per metre and the resistance to deflection, which can be be surprisingly poor.
Unsorted Russian was usually the best bet but most so called timber yards only seem to have it in machined boards as skirting etc but you might try looking for some plain door casing material, usually available in ex 6" x 1 1/2 "
IMG-20220725-WA0006.jpeg

This is what I had in mind....

In a similar okay to the OP. I had squirred away 25 or so 38mm x 140mm (approx) x 2.4m CLS16 timbers two or so years ago for this build but now thinking about redwood. Got a price today of £9.35/m for 50mm x 150mm from local yard, is this too expensive?

In a similar okay to the OP. I had squirred away 25 or so 38mm x 140mm (approx) x 2.4m CLS16 timbers two or so years ago for this build but now thinking about redwood. Got a price today of £9.35/m for 50mm x 150mm from local yard, is this too expensive?
Seems a bit steep....

I've not found too many cheaper prices than that for PAR redwood so far (which is why I went C24).

Timberworld/Arnold Laver are doing those dimensions for £8.23 pm. Although it looks like they're running a trade discount if you qualify.

https://www.timberworld.co.uk/timbe...dwood_pse_pefc_timber_-_50_x_150mm_02926.html

Hello peeps, I'm not sure if this thread is dead or not but I'm also looking at building a work bench and could do with some advice.
I was going to go with studwork timber as it FEELS like a happy compromise between the quality and price. especially when I can go pick out the lengths I want. Wickes currently have Studwork CLS Timber - 38 x 89mm @ £2.08/m or £5 for a 2.4m length. Is it really going to be a mare to plane flat? I have a cheap Titan planner thicknesser but was actually going to use a hand plane with a freshly sharpened blade and set up properly. I'm going for a basic simple and solid design (it'll be for hand tool projects) something like this... Jay Bates Woodworking Workbench
If anyone knows of a better material in the same ball park in terms of price I'd be very interested to hear. Or alternatively any suppliers I should approach around the Salisbury/Southampton/Portsmouth or even Oxford areas...?
THANKS
K

Hello peeps, I'm not sure if this thread is dead or not but I'm also looking at building a work bench and could do with some advice.
I was going to go with studwork timber as it FEELS like a happy compromise between the quality and price. especially when I can go pick out the lengths I want. Wickes currently have Studwork CLS Timber - 38 x 89mm @ £2.08/m or £5 for a 2.4m length. Is it really going to be a mare to plane flat? I have a cheap Titan planner thicknesser but was actually going to use a hand plane with a freshly sharpened blade and set up properly. I'm going for a basic simple and solid design (it'll be for hand tool projects) something like this... Jay Bates Woodworking Workbench
If anyone knows of a better material in the same ball park in terms of price I'd be very interested to hear. Or alternatively any suppliers I should approach around the Salisbury/Southampton/Portsmouth or even Oxford areas...?
THANKS
K
Hi K

Whereabouts in Salisbury are you? If you want to pop around to my shed sometime I can show you the bench I built to see if it will suffice. Drop me a PM so as not to hijack the thread.

THANKS
K
What about the timber I suggested up thread.
I'm not coming down till end of the month but could bring some down..6x2 is likely to be £4/m but good quality...

Latest posts

Back