Looking for good floor pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Starting to order in all the new kit for the workshop :)

Got the HMS260ci and HA2600 coming next week :)

Now need a floor standing pillar drill. There are lots to choose from - anyone know if there are any comparison reviews out there? Want to spend between £150 and £300 for good quality one.

P.S. why are the woodworking magazines so poor at doing big comparison reviews? Maybe I'm so used to the likes of Personal Computer World mag at doing great roundup reviews (with lots of kit). It seems like the woodworking press get 3 models in and call it a 'megga roundup', leaving he rest of the 95% of kit out there untouched. And why is there a lack of Scheppach kit reviews???

Rant over! ;)

Digizz.

I know what you mean about the reviews. I've often thought that myself.
Waiting for the next issue of GWW as they have an "exhaustive guide to choosing and using" bandsaws with "budgets from £99 - £1000". As I need a bandsaw I'm looking forward to seeing how thorough this one is. (No other complaints, though. I think the mag is great!! Just incase Mr. King reads this!! :D )

As for the drill, I only have a bench drill but it is an older model Meddings. Pricey, I think, (didn't pay anything for mine - was that a drive-by, perchance?Sorry :wink: ), but excellent quality/performance.
If you could get hold of a secondhand one, then....

Ta muchly

Gary

So I bet they have one at £99, one at £500 and one at £1000 ! ;)

Yes - I agree the rest of the mag is OK - just would be MUCH better if they could spend more time on the reviews and get more kit in - surely the manufacturers/distributors are willing?

I would have thought that these mags are one of the biggest forums for reviews and publicising kit.

You should be able to pick up a Meddings or equivalent on ebay easily within (the lower end of) your budget. That'll be way better quality than new chiwanese at the upper end of your budget.

Jake

So I bet they have one at £99, one at £500 and one at £1000 !
<chuckle>

Yes, and one for about £300-£350, probably, as it says "We test new bandsaws for SIP (which I'm looking out for - £289 if it's the 14" version), Charnwood, Record Power and Meber". So likely to be just the four, then.

As you say, the PC mags will pick a price band, say upto 700 quid, and review about 10 different packages within that range. If they did that with tools/machinery then we would get the pro view on a broader range of items.

IMHO, FWIW, and all that gubbins...

Maybe there's a good reason why they don't or can't do this ( Benefit of the doubt, and such :wink: ). So any explanations from our esteemed friends at GWW, or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. :D

Ta muchly

Gary

Hi Gary

I understand that it is sometimes difficult to actually get machines in on loan for test purposes. Apparently, Makita are one of the worst for this.

I was told, by someone in the know, that they had even been known to buy in the equipment from a certain shed and then return it after the test was complete. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

I'm aware of all the 'deals' manufacturers make with the press - maybe this industry isn't any different? ;)

Getting back to the drill:

The scheppach floor standing drill looks good (and colour scheme would go with the HMS260 and TS2500!) ;)

Anyone got/used one of these?

Digizz,

Look at this one (Meddings) http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/othdrill.htm The picture amkes it look very clean.

I have bought stuff from these folk in the past and they are pretty reliable, answering questions honestly.

The typical Chaiwanese imports are just good enough for woodwork but I wouldn't want to use them for metal work where tolerances are much tighter.

Ah, now if that's the key criterion, how about this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

and a tinny of this

http://www.epinions.com/Paint-Valspar_Qt_John_Deere_Yel

I guess that its a bit risky unless you get a John Deere next to the TS2500 to check the colour match. Then again, you could go for a complementary colour - purple - for a real fizz in the workshop.

Oh, and don't forget some of these to liven up the look of those dull drill press handles.
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lionbr ... ssels.html

[insert smiley here]

Jake

Because, obviously, I have already decorated my workshop. Pillar drill and all.

Actually just the first good tassel picture thrown up by a google search.

Jake

Don't know about the tassels though - possibly a health and safety issue.

Mmmm - maybe you can get 'tassle guards' !!! ;)

Seriously though - I've never liked buying second hand - I think I might have a fettish about new kit - always has to be unopened in it's original packaging!

Fair enough, although this would definitely be one of the exceptions for me if I felt like that.

You can get a new Meddings here

http://www.peterrushton.co.uk/new_drills.htm

Although I think it breaks your budget.

Seriously these things are going to be way better than the Scheppach stuff (which isn't to slag them off, I'm sure they're perfectly good at their job) and you could save a big chunk of money towards something else yellow in the process!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
The DrilTru model looks alarmingly similar to my Popular model. Very similar spec too. Different colour and no guard on mine.Didn't realise how pricey, though! <gulp>

Sorry to recommend these without knowing, Digizz. :oops:

Ta muchly

Gary (a little embarrassed)

Amazing, isn't it, this Forum? This thread starts off with a request for info. on pillar drills and gets on to discussing sensational tassels. :shock: :shock:

Brilliant - never ceases to entertain me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back