Looking for 'Flat Top teeth' blade for D/Walt 745

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cordy

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to have a go at making finger joints using my Dewalt 745 tablesaw
So far I have not managed to find a UK supplier of the Flat top blades as shown in Tamar's video
HERE

My usual blade size is 250 mm diameter x 30 mm bore

Any info much appreciated

rip blades are usually flat topped. just watch out that some will be general purpose or combination blades, so may not be flat.

alternatively, you can get a smaller diameter one, which limits the depth of cut, but is available in a wider cut. I got mine from Biven and it was a 150mm from memory.

Get in touch with cutting solutions if you want a flat tooth blade.

Doug supplied me with a 4mm kerf blade for finger joints last year.

They're a bit of a rare pony this side of the pond, mainly due to less of the gadget pushing here compared to over there.

As harryc said, the best option is to have a blade sourced by or ground flat by a saw doctor. You may struggle to find anything off-the-shelf that's already flat ground.

You can get 180mm x 30mm bore groovers from CMT in sizes from 3mm through to 6mm from Scott and Sargeant but they're not particularly cheap.

Search Amazon for Grooving Cutter Circular Saw Blade. There are some from CMT from £18 to £55 depending on the width. Not 250mm though, but not a problem for finger joints.

8D354DDE-7B61-4165-972C-50E5FA3BAE09.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D354DDE-7B61-4165-972C-50E5FA3BAE09.jpeg
    8D354DDE-7B61-4165-972C-50E5FA3BAE09.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 454
harryc":180f50bj said:
Get in touch with cutting solutions if you want a flat tooth blade.

Doug supplied me with a 4mm kerf blade for finger joints last year.

+1 for cutting solutions. I also bought a 4mm kerf blade from Doug last year. It wasn't cheap but the blade has been excellent.
See http://www.cutting-solutions.co.uk/.

Trevor

Like others, I bought a flat cutting blade for my table saw from Cutting Solutions for making finger joints. I’m very happy with it.

The same size as you need too:

250x2.2/2.2x30 Z=20 FTG blade
£29.00 each nett#
+ carriage and VAT @ 20%

Thanks for all the replies
Both blades that were recommended have been ordered
Bivens -- Sargent and Amazon are the same blade
and
Cutting solutions
Will update when tested
Now I am trying to remember what it is that I was wanting a finger/joint blade for :roll:

RichardG":1t1fmdwz said:
Search Amazon for Grooving Cutter Circular Saw Blade. There are some from CMT from £18 to £55 depending on the width. Not 250mm though, but not a problem for finger joints.

View attachment 8

This is what I have as well.

The teeth are much wider than the plate as well, which means they fit on narrow arbours that we have on our European saws.

Highly recommended for grooving and for joinery cuts.

Cordy":1x5kf6e8 said:
Thanks for all the replies
Both blades that were recommended have been ordered
Bivens -- Sargent and Amazon are the same blade
and
Cutting solutions
Will update when tested
Now I am trying to remember what it is that I was wanting a finger/joint blade for :roll:
Excellent, will look forward to your experience.

The cutting solution blade was posted and received promptly :)

Bivens blade was ordered 23rd April and arrived yesterday :(
Why it took 2 months to get here I'm not sure -- I emailed them twice asking where is ? -- both times no reply

Will test out both blades after I complete the Adirondack chair that I'm on with

Cordy":zym27k2j said:
The cutting solution blade was posted and received promptly :)

Bivens blade was ordered 23rd April and arrived yesterday :(
Why it took 2 months to get here I'm not sure -- I emailed them twice asking where is ? -- both times no reply

Will test out both blades after I complete the Adirondack chair that I'm on with

How did these work out in the end?

Bivens -- Sargent and Amazon are the same blade, is useful; wider kerf than Cutting Solutions
Cutting Solutions - a pleasure to do business with

I won't trade with Bivens again

Not had a try at finger joints yet :oops: been busy making THIS

.... big roundovers!.....
Yes, I had to attaché two extra boards to the fence, plus another base board to raise the table.

Routed in four easy stages :)

forgot to mention
These rebates were cut using the 'Biven' blade

bwgnbYzh.jpg

Finally got round to trying a finger joint
Planed down some decking board from 25 mm to 18 mm
Made a couple of wheels
Me being Max C in the YouTube comments
Wheel video
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Last edited:
I’d also be happy to recommend Scott & Sargent for supply. Ordered a CMT 180 30 4 in early hours of Thursday morning, and through the letterbox on Friday.

I have read elsewhere since that these blades are very poor at crosscut, which means I might need to revisit my idea of using the table saw (dewalt 7485) for bridle joints I was planning.

The same post also said that flat top blades are very aggressive and command respect, so as a relative newbie wondering if I should use my router table?!

Back