Looking for fixing recommendations for glass shelves (and glass thickness)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_Pedr0

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm designing a walk in wardrobe with a display unit. Can you recommend fixings for the glass shelves please.

The sides of the unit will be 19mm walnut veneer mdf and back will be a mirror stuck on 6mm mdf. There's an overlapping fascia on the front, so the shelves won't be able to slide in from the front once everthing is built. So preferably the fixings will allow the glass to be 'dropped in' from the top to just rest on top of the fixings. Dimension of the glass: 837 x 462mm.

Also what glass thickness would be most appropriate if it's going to store handbags (I suspect my power-tool-storage plan will be overrulled)?

1630311131523.png
1630311192741.png

I often use tonk strip as with the light duty clips you can get clear rubber dots.
ironmongery direct. Will give adjustability as well

Tonk strip - that looks like a good option. thanks.

Also still keen to hear of any other options that are even more discrete, even if they don't offer much or any adjustability.

I like the small pegs with a clear rubbery pad on the top. Very cheap from ironmongery direct or similar. Just drill holes where you need them.
6mm is pretty standard for the glass.

Ollie

I tend to use those cheap brass cylinder supports but put two rubber O rings on them - it stops the glass from sliding. A few extra holes will give you versatility.

I used these Hafele shelf supports that fit a standard 5mm hole. They comprise two parts; the first is the support itself and the second is a locking 'top support' that can be secured in place after the glass shelf has been dropped onto the main supports. This does affect the width of the glass as you'll need a couple of mm between the glass and the cabinet side to slide the second part into the main shelf support'. Not sure if I've explained them very well :confused:

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/product...-glass-shelves-peki/000000fd000266d900010023/

Whatever you use should be a loose fit or they risk getting broken by external shocks such as when moving the furniture - take the glass shelves out first.
In other words really easy to fix - any old design of ledge will do.

Back