Looking for cornice moulding.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I am hoping to find something to match the existing cornice in our kitchen. The kitchen was apparently bespoke made for the previous owners, but I doubt whoever made it ran the mouldings themselves, so I'm guessing it is available from somewhere.
I will try to attach a bad drawing I made from a profile gauge. The top of the moulding is at the zero end of the tape measure. The barely visible dotted lines represent roughly vertical and horizontal.

IMG_20210313_184417.jpg

Well, if I’d made the kitchen, anything like that I’d have made bespoke! Not only would it be a selling feature but it would help / ensure that any future modifications / additions would come back to me as they wouldn’t be able to find off the shelf stuff. A set of custom spindle cutters to make it aren't that expensive. Either from an accurate trace, drawing or sample of the cornice any decent spindle tooling cutting business can make a cutter for it.
I’d have a look on Whitehill Tools web site to see if it’s one of their standard cutters, but I don't think it us.

Well, if I’d made the kitchen, anything like that I’d have made bespoke! Not only would it be a selling feature but it would help / ensure that any future modifications / additions would come back to me as they wouldn’t be able to find off the shelf stuff.

I have never been asked in over 20 years of bespoke kitchen manufacture, "whether we make our own cornice"......................... I'm sorry, I don't believe it's a selling feature, I don't think a customer would have a clue whether it was bespoke or not. I'm not for or against making it.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks.
I don't have a spindle moulder, and I don't think it would be worth buying one for 2 metres of cornice. I was hoping someone might recognise it, or point me to a stockist.

Take a look at the cornices in WRP timber mouldings and see if anything resembles yours. Otherwise, for 2m-odd run, go on eBay get yourself a pair of hollow and rounds!

You could replicate that with qa cove bit and a round over bit of the correct diameters.

Thanks.
I can't find anything remotely similar at WRP or Dresser.
Looks like I'd need a no 18 round plane, and a no 16 hollow. I'm struggling to find anything in the way of router cutters from Wealdon. I'll check out the bits and pieces I have somewhere for my combination plane, but I dont' think there's anything that big.
I've bought a pair of hollows and rounds. It will be interesting to see if I can produce something remotely similar...

If the new wood isn't being joined end for end to the old then I would cut most of the moulding with the table saw. Cut the 38º/52º or whatever the back angles are then the edges with the blade tilted. Maybe the other 90º cut and then cut to the line with the blade until a tooth touches the profile line, step over the blade width and repeat. Continue until the profile is roughed out. Then you can finish with a round and a hollow or flat plane if you have to followed by sandpaper on blocks until the profile is completed and smooth. Won't take long to make a couple metres or more since you are setup anyway and having extra ensures you won't botch it up.

Pete

Last edited:
When building my wardrobes, I simply went online and found Victorian Emporium. They have a good selection of mouldings and although carriage is expensive, (£42), delivery is very quick, and the mouldings themselves are cheap and well-made in pine.
Sorry, I know that isn't a proper Craftsman's response!

If the new wood isn't being joined end for end to the old then I would cut most of the moulding with the table saw. Cut the 38º/52º or whatever the back angles are then the edges with the blade tilted. Maybe the other 90º cut and then cut to the line with the blade until a tooth touches the profile line, step over the blade with ad repeat. Continue until the profile is roughed out. Then you can finish with a round and a hollow or flat plane if you have to followed by sandpaper on blocks until the profile is completed and smooth. Won't take long to make a couple metres or more since you are setup anyway and having extra ensures you won't botch it up.

Pete
Thanks. I'll bear that in mind.

When building my wardrobes, I simply went online and found Victorian Emporium. They have a good selection of mouldings and although carriage is expensive, (£42), delivery is very quick, and the mouldings themselves are cheap and well-made in pine.
Sorry, I know that isn't a proper Craftsman's response!
Thanks. I took a look, but no luck. They don't seem to have a cornice category.

I have never been asked in over 20 years of bespoke kitchen manufacture, "whether we make our own cornice"......................... I'm sorry, I don't believe it's a selling feature, I don't think a customer would have a clue whether it was bespoke or not. I'm not for or against making it.
Do you make your own cornice, Bob?
Not just a smartass question, just trying to find a source...

If push comes to shove, I suppose I could use something vaguely similar, if I replaced the moulding on the "paired" cupboard.

Do you make your own cornice, Bob?
Not just a smartass question, just trying to find a source...

If push comes to shove, I suppose I could use something vaguely similar, if I replaced the moulding on the "paired" cupboard.

50/50 really. I have 2 fairly standard profiles we use. I get these machined 300 -500m at a time.
I reckon one of my old stock cornices is similar to yours, I'll take a pic on monday.

Back