Looking for an older benchtop bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for the insight. I've always had access to tools through work but since a change a of jobs and a house move I now have the ability (and want) to home my own set of machines/tools. Really I'm looking for three pieces; a bandsaw, a table saw, and a drill press.

A midsize bandsaw would probably do me pretty well really. Then a table saw, like you say, for ripping accurate straights. I guess the main reason people say go as big as you can is it to limit the need to have to change up in the future when you decide you'd like more power and capability.

Another Startrite to consider is the 12S1 Bandit. It's simple and basic with flat tyres but quite capable. 185mm under the guides, 290mm throat depth, H1040 x W495 x D710 mm, 93kg, table height 405mm so would be best on a stand of abt 500mm height.
With table and motor removed it would weigh quite a bit less for getting down those stairs.
No extraction, but dust etc falls into the base, so leave a hole in the top of the stand and fit a hose to that.
They come up on eBay and other sites reasonably frequently.
Duncan

I have an Inca. I wanted something with max resaw height* for the footprint and this fit the bill. You can get 6" under the guides (probably not teak) and mine is mounted on a small cabinet on wheels, so not a space hog.
The motor and table are not that big, so not the choice for ripping long lengths, but if you have a tablesaw, there is no need anyway.

The Inca build quality is good and the reputation is deserved. The guides are basic, but work ok. The fence is just about ok and the mitre gauge works nicely. I need to put a new blade on mine, so can take some pictures if you like?

*p.s. resaw height is a good way to narrow down what you want/won't be big enough. Do you have any idea what capacity you want/need?

samhay":1v6ycg7t said:
I have an Inca. I wanted something with max resaw height* for the footprint and this fit the bill. You can get 6" under the guides (probably not teak) and mine is mounted on a small cabinet on wheels, so not a space hog.
The motor and table are not that big, so not the choice for ripping long lengths, but if you have a tablesaw, there is no need anyway.

The Inca build quality is good and the reputation is deserved. The guides are basic, but work ok. The fence is just about ok and the mitre gauge works nicely. I need to put a new blade on mine, so can take some pictures if you like?

*p.s. resaw height is a good way to narrow down what you want/won't be big enough. Do you have any idea what capacity you want/need?

Realistically I would probably need around 12" under the guides as I make site models that sometimes need trimming after construction and it would be a real breeze to be able to do that on the bandsaw. They are pretty much hollow but that height would give me a great advantage and accuracy over doing by hand. It can be a bit more gentle on the delicate stuff because of the speed. Probably getting out of Inca territory now I guess, but since I've heard a few of these larger machines can be disassembled relatively easily I am starting to consider them more.

Duncan A":1lwjjf8s said:
Another Startrite to consider is the 12S1 Bandit. It's simple and basic with flat tyres but quite capable. 185mm under the guides, 290mm throat depth, H1040 x W495 x D710 mm, 93kg, table height 405mm so would be best on a stand of abt 500mm height.
With table and motor removed it would weigh quite a bit less for getting down those stairs.
No extraction, but dust etc falls into the base, so leave a hole in the top of the stand and fit a hose to that.
They come up on eBay and other sites reasonably frequently.
Duncan

Thanks Duncan. I haven't looked at the 12-s-1 before but it looks like a solid little machine.

No, the Inca won't handle anything like that size, which helps your decision. I'm sure that some of the bigger ones could be disassembled far enough for your purposes but I am not so familiar with them, so will leave comment to others. In general though, they are relatively simple machines, compared to, say, a tablesaw let alone a screwcutting lathe or milling machine.

Back