Looking for advice on chair making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimchelt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
This is my first post on the forum. Although I'm 66 I'd pretty much admit to being a newbie where woodworking is concerned. I've been honing what skills I have on wooden toys and puzzles for grandchildren, great nieces/nephews etc and am now starting to get requests from SWMBO. She would like a Savanarola chair (one of those ones with curved legs) for our 40th wedding anniversary. I've found some plans on the web but I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has either attempted or completed one of these. Hope to hear from someone, and thanks in anticipation.
Jim

Welcome along!

I've not made one, but I did see an interesting video by Roy Underhill (unfortunately not one available on line). He points out that there are two approaches to getting a set of matching curved components. The obvious but somewhat dull way is to use an inch board, mark out lots of curvy parts nested in together, and cut them out with a bandsaw. His way, which looked more fun, was to start with a very thick board, adze out the curve, then rip it into inch slices.

Back