Looking for a wood filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on the wall unit, and have come about some imperfections in my indonesian Teak.

I would like to use some woodfiller which after it has been finished will give it a dark shine (coffee brown), this to blend in with the wood

Which can you guys recommend, I have tried some two component wood filler, on some imperfections on the inside, and works fine, but this is a beige finish (white coffee), and i would like to be more black, or very dark brown

McLuma

How large are the bits that need filling? If small enough, something like the sawdust from the project and some superglue may give a better colour match. Pretty easy to do, too. Even better, if you have an offcut, use a rasp to make the filler - the 'bits' are coarser, and when glued in and sanded flush, there's a more natural graininess - this sort of repair can be undetectable with a little care.

As Shady says, we need to know the size of the problem. Small stuff can be filled with various things (for example melted shellac is very good) but large areas might benefit more from a dutchman. A picture would be worth several words!

I had not considered a dutchman, but that would do the job on parts of the repairwork to be done (have to remove the recess of some hinges, as i will be fitting eurohinges.

Other parts to be repaired are small cracks in the wood, and could probably do it with sawdust mixed with woodglue

Thanks
McLuma

Sounds sensible. Just be aware that most commercial fillers will a) shrink with age, and b) almost inevitably discolour at a different rate to the wood itself, and so become more noticable. If you're going for a high end finish, use anything but 'shop bought filler', to be honest... Normal glue can shrink like filler. Unless you're confident of its stability, epoxy and the dust would be a safer bet, albeit a little trickier to make up...

mc can you not mix a bit of stain to the two part filler to get a colour match

I think I am getting there.

What about the following

I could mix up the epoxy two part filler with
Some stain
some sawdust

this should work ?

McLuma

Sounds good - just remember the staining/finish mantra... "test on unconspicous area first"!!! :wink:

Back