• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a track saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VornCreative

Reaction score
After a track saw for around £200-£300. Would rather buy a Preloved decent brand if anyone has one available! Otherwise recommendations for a new model around that price range would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Happy to lend you £20 until payday.
F9D06581-6204-4AAE-A02F-B29467779A15.png
Then you can get one of these. I use them all the time. Just don’t overtighten the depth knob and it should last for years

Hi, I’ve also been looking for a track saw and based on the vast number of reviews I’ve read I’d also recommend the makita. And that seems like a bargain if it includes the rails!!

Hi, I’ve also been looking for a track saw and based on the vast number of reviews I’ve read I’d also recommend the makita. And that seems like a bargain if it includes the rails!!
I believe that this price only includes one rail. The second one is another 60 odd quid. If he wants a second one it may pay to save up as I bought a 3 m one for about £100 a few years back and have never regretted it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking to use it to mostly break down sheet into manageable sizes for my CNC and table saw.

The makita looks good, but may be over budget currently!

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking to use it to mostly break down sheet into manageable sizes for my CNC and table saw.

The makita looks good, but may be over budget currently!
@petermillard has a youtube channel. He reviewed some lower priced models, well within your budget. I'll post the link if I can find it.

You might be able to find a second hand makita on Facebook/eBay/gumtree within your budget. I’ve bought quite a few power tools second hand and they’ve all been great.

@petermillard has a youtube channel. He reviewed some lower priced models, well within your budget. I'll post the link if I can find it.
Thanks. All my tracksaw-related videos are in a playlist here - TW P1; What's a tracksaw & why use one? [video #277]

If the OP is new to tracksaws generally, it’s probably worth taking a look at the tracksaw workshop series as it takes you through the whole process from unboxing to getting up & cutting.

I own a lot of tracksaws and I’ve used most of the ones that are available here in Britain; they will all cut a straight line, they will all break down sheets for further machining. In my experience, there’s very little to choose between entry-level plunge saws - they’re broadly two basic designs and they’ll all do the job. My only word of warning would be the Aldi/Scheppach saws, where they’ve made some odd decisions re the basic design that makes the saws harder to use with alternative rails.

Pay a little more and you may get a few more features but e.g. other than the colour scheme and soft start, my ~£170 Triton appears identical to my £99 MacAllister, which is a dead ringer for my 4 year old £80 Titan. Actually, I’d say the Titan has better castings… Move further up the price range into Makita / DeWalt territory and you get better quality generally, better dust collection, a better ‘experience’ and a tool that can be used all day long for paying work.

You’ll want longer rails for breaking down full sheets and the best value are currently the Excel 1.5m at £35 - they’re the closest copy of the Makita rails I’ve ever found, and most saws fit on them; they have an additional anti-tipping lip that gets in the way of some saws and accessories, but it’s easy enough to remove, if necessary.

Best value upgrade to any entry-level saw is a better blade, and £20 spent here can transform the quality of cut.

HTH P

edited to add; my experience is largely with corded saws, not cordless.

Last edited:
Ive got the Scheppach track saw -the large saw.

I used it a few times then got a Festool used from this for sale section here -since then Ive not touched the Scheppach -which works fine, but the springs are too strong making it awkward and the adjustments are made of poor metal / plastic

I need to make the effort to sell it really!

I made up a track for my circular saw see photos below. Hope the quality is good enough as I have cut the size down.

I have three tracks, 1.1m, 1.3m and 2.4m. It cuts accurate straight cuts but getting the “groove“ straight and non binding was difficult. For the 2.4m track I glued one strip on as straight as possible then routed it straight against steel straight edges. It was time consuming to get it correct

One cheap way of getting a track saw would be to go for Lidl/aldi/macallister. Peter Millard gives plenty of advice on these. Then for longer cuts make a wooden track similar to mine but easier to do as there is a slot in the base of the plunge saw, Peter Millard has a video of making one.

2F6C2962-DDED-498F-AECB-15164DCF0A4C.jpeg
CB4CF8FD-8BD6-4627-8449-AB8F144BC33D.jpeg

I think if you plan to only use the tracksaw to break down full sheets for your CNC / table saw and not as your main cutting tool, then you might as well just buy a cheap one which will do the job perfectly fine

Back