Looking for a " thingy"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dil

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to drill a hole in plywood to pass a flex through. The flex will be moved through the hole from time to time so to protect it I want it to pass through a bit of brass tube ( about 10mm id) with a sort of collar or shoulder which will also make the hole look tidier. I have searched for "collared brass tube", " brass bushing", " brass grommet", etc. But can't seem to find what I want. Any ideas would be very welcome!

Keep your eye out for the eyelet sets that some times come up in Lidl/Aldi you get supply of rings ,back plates and a swaging tool in a plastic box should do the job

‘Conduit brass bush’ brings back suitable items dependent on the ply thickness, you may need to adapt.

Not sure but brass might not be the best idea what with it being metal and abrasive to the flex which i assume will have power running through it. You maybe better with plastic.

Metal bush with a plastic flex moving past it, so that if it abrades the metal can help create a short. I have a feeling there’s a reason rubber gets used.

Aidan

Try this part at Vital-Parts, 2 with one each side of the hole trimmed if needed and glued in might do the jobbie

Quick Fit Grommet - GRM004
Product Code: GRM004
Request A Sample
request a sample

Request Quote
Request Quote

Data Sheet
View Product Data Sheet

Mounting Hole Diameter: 10mm

I want to drill a hole in plywood to pass a flex through. The flex will be moved through the hole from time to time so to protect it I want it to pass through a bit of brass tube ( about 10mm id) with a sort of collar or shoulder which will also make the hole look tidier. I have searched for "collared brass tube", " brass bushing", " brass grommet", etc. But can't seem to find what I want. Any ideas would be very welcome!
Thanks everyone, there are some interesting ideas there! And don't worry Aidan, if I use brass it will be smooth, as Thingybob says. It's only going to have occasional movement too. Cheers!

These glands are very strong and can easily be adapted to your requirements by not inserting the tightening collar.
from RS components
7F456D05-C4E3-4863-90B5-9FACF3B11AB6.png

I would make a feature of it and turn a nice little wooden grommet.

Cables passing through furniture is done all the time in office environments. it's not hazardous as long as common sense is applied.

If this is for paid work, would you need to make sure the grommet was earthed? Plastic would be my choice. You could spay it silver or bronze if you really wanted to

Back