Looking for a suitable electric fan heater

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
I received a Stanley 2kW fan heater for Chrimbo for the workshop. The idea being a short run should bring the temp.s above bearable for a little while, I'm comfortable below 'cosy' but some delicate tasks are noticeably difficult when you're shivering.
The Stanley's going back to Screwfix. At full power I can hold the back of my hand one inch from the grille without any discomfort and there was no discenable warming in the workshop, in fact siiting downwind made me feel cooler if anything. I'm underwhelmed. looking at reviews most alternatives seem to be deemed both fantastic and as dismal as this one.
Am I being unrealistic in my expectations? There are equivalents for similar price [£50] and I would pay a little more, or there are [at Argos] 3kW heaters for less money.

Does anyone have any useful experience?

I use an electric oil filled radiator, also 2 kW. Not as fast as a fan but not bad, and I think it is much safer than exposed elements in a sawdust environment.

https://www.primrose.co.uk/firefly-18kw ... =list_name

Not a fan heater, but excellent - I have just this minute plugged one in my garage. Neat design, it appears well made and you certainly wouldn't hold your hands an inch from it. Three heat settings mean I can leave it on low for a few hours without breaking the bank. (The same heater in black is £10 more at the bottom of the page!)
Well pleased.

I have this Stanley 2kW heater from Screwfix...

ae235

It can warm my garage to 't-shirt' in 10-15 minutes.

If it's icy out, I switch it on before I go out and tend the beasties and when I get back the garage is toasty.

NazNomad, that's the same as mine; fancy a swap?
What does the output feel like if you put your hand in front of the grille? Maybe [hopefully] I've just got a dud.

You can't hold your hand there for very long. I can always feel a nice warm sensation down my leg when I'm near it (that could be an age-related thing though) :-D

Probably not much help Mike due to it being Lidles and the temporary nature of their stock but I'm pleased with my one from there. Only reason I post is it might be handy for comparison? Similar in design. It doesn't chuck out super heat but it's warmer than your one sounds. My shed is about garage size and it won't do anywhere near 'Tshirt' in 10 minutes but it was a great buy at £30 (?) I think. Takes the chill off in 10 minutes. More than enough for me even sitting down filing metal carefully if you see what I mean. I don't like being hot anyway lol. ;) Yours sounds like a lemon if Naz's comments are anything to go by.

Which consumer magazine should have reviews of fan heaters and best buys. Magazine kept at main libraries, some have an online subscription.
Failing that could take out the £1 online trial and inform yourself. Could double check any models they review on Amazon reviews.

Heat is heat. A 2 kW heater should deliver 2kW of heat were else can the energy go?
If you want to just heat yourself a fan would probably work best.

I picked one of these up today (from Argos - £5 cheaper than Amazon):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-HZ-5 ... rds=heater

I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's definitely not the most powerful thing but I can no longer see my breath in my workshop. It's fairly quiet and very small. It also has a setting allowing the temperature of the room to be maintained which is handy, although I think my workshop/shed's size is at the upper limits of what it can heat, so it's pretty much on all the time.

Well in the end I took the Stanley back and got a refund [after some umming and aghing] then went to Argos and spent £30 on this 3kW model. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4150963

Used it tonight for a little while, happy with it. Happy with Screwfix too, no fuss, no bother.

Thanks for all the recommendations and food for thought.

I thought fan heaters weren't recommended around wood dust because of the exposed heating elements possibly getting dust on them. And they blow dust around.
I went for oil filled with thermostat

My idea is to do a bit of a preheat if I'm going to be moving about, I'll keep myself warm enough after that. My greatest need is when I'm carving, not much moving about and I can get quite cold but no dust generated, so the fan can run without issue.

Latest posts

Back