Looking for a plan for this desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Afternoon all

The wife (TM) has her heart set on this desk and I have told her I can make it...

I have received The Look of maybe in the next 25 years!

This challenge is one that I can not afford to lose, so people, if you have seen a plan that can get me somewhere close to this (I can go off plan for the finger joints etc), I just need something that gets me a pedestal desk with some reasonable dimensions..

Obviously I have looked and found some bits and pieces. I am happy to buy a plan, just wondered if on your travels of tinternet, anyone had seen a lovely pedestal desk plan.

Any help much appreciated.

PS To be frank, at 700 quid for a solid Ash desk, it might just as easily be bought. Woods gunna cost me not far off I would suspect!

Hi
There is a plan for a similar pedestal desk in the book "Desks" by Andy Charron. It is published by The Taunton Press and it is ISBN 1-56158-348-0. I have just finished a pedestal desk, using a modified Norm Abram's computor desk plan, in American oak. The cost of the wood being approximately £350. The only problem with both sets of plans is that
they are in imperial measurements.
If you are interested in the pedestal desk plans, I will copy and post them to you. Also you can borrow Norm's plans if you wish.
Neville

You could save a fair bit of money and time by using veneered panels for the top, sides etc.

Veneered panels would also simplify construction, in case you are forced to design it yourself, as you won't have to worry about allowing for wood movement.

Lastly, I advocate designing it yourself. If you get a good book like Hylton's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" you will have all the info you need and LOYL will be even more impressed. More to the point perhaps, purchased plans are very rarely what you want and the time spent modifying them is disproportionately long. Much easier to do it ab initio.

There are a couple of Kevin Ley's designs available Here but it may be better to buy his book and get several other projects as well for just a few quid more.

Jason

thanks for all the posts.

better get myself a book and hit the sketch up programme.

thanks again,

waterhead37":399kgc2a said:
Lastly, I advocate designing it yourself. If you get a good book like Hylton's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" you will have all the info you need and LOYL will be even more impressed.

Jeez, Bills books dont come cheap and only second hand from what I can find. A woodworking/cabinet building bible per chance?

:D where in kent are you are you near maidstone :?: i have a few books I might be able to lend you :D or are you going to axminster :?:

Morning Martyn

I'm near Sevenoaks, so not too far from Maidstone (20 mins), I think I made Maidstone Hosptial in 11 minutes when my son was born a year a go!! :)

Would be fantastic if you could lend me a book. Thats really very kind of you. I'll continue to find a better priced Cabinet Making illustrated, I'm a sucker for carpentary literature now it would seem! Journals, books, catalogues...Mmmm tools catalogues...Jeeez, how did this happen!!!! :)

I was brought up in Tonbridge but go to maidstone ( headoffice) about once a fortnight or so pm me and we can arange something

martyn

Latest posts

Back