looking for a new tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr6

Reaction score
hey guys,

i am in the market for a new saw, have been looking at the excalibur range but would like to look at some alternatives as well but dont really know where to start, so was just wondering apart from Excalibur, what are your guys recommendations for a good quality table saw, in around the £400-£500 mark maybe even a little bit more, with a cast iron top and belt drive preferably, and has to have the standard mitre slot size for my incra mitre gauges

thanks for your help guys

much appreciated

regards,

Warren.

Hello Warren. If you have been looking at these Xcalibur saws from Woodford http://woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/Table_Saws1.html sadly that's the old site, the new table saws start around the £800.00 mark. I had a look at one last Tuesday, I think it was the updated version of the TC10RAS, 2nd one down in the link. It's a big saw, quite long extension rails and the motor hangs out the back. Sorry I can't be of more help.

hey pete,

that is bad news, really liked those saws, i am open to alternatives as well if theres anything else out there anyone would recommend

I'd recommend a second hand wadkin bursgreen. Mines a 1962 model and is the bees knees. Cast iron everything. Single phase. Accurate fence. Lovely mitre tracks.

And if you want something a bit lighter and a bit newer then a Kity 619 (or 1619) is a good second-hand buy at around the 500 mark, although really good condition ones go for quite a lot more.

thanks for the advise guys,

i really would like to buy brand new if possible, what are your guys opinions on the Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2 saw? have also seen charnwood and SIP saws, not wure what are good brands and what ones are ones to avoid

I've have a charnwood w619. Got it from poolwood for about £480. In my opinion it's very good value for money. I have a small workshop and I use it almost every day. It's done a lot of work since I've owned it (18 months). I spent a coupe of hours ripping 30mm oak on Friday it was quite happy.
It isn't without it's faults. rubbish fence being the main one. odd mitre slots and the sliding table needs checking for square every once in a while.
Having said all this. I still wished I'd bought a second hand startrite.

i think i have narrowed my search down to 2 saws,

the axminster AW10BSB2

or

the SIP 01332

Im more leaning towards the SIP now, and was wondering if anyone had one that they would care to share their opinion on?

Looks like your budget has increased somewhat! Just to throw into the mix, I've got a charnwood w650 which I think you can find for around £800… this is middle ground really between the smaller hobby type saws and the lower end professional ones which will be into 4 figures (the sip you mentioned is I think about 1400 with the sliding table). The charnwood has a cast top but pressed steel extensions (which are rubbish) but I replaced mine with a router table. It's an ok saw, although I would second Marmite, if buying again I would go for a second hand startrite (or wadkin etc)

Hi yea definately dont want to rush into this, the sip i seen for £1100 without the sliding carraige as i dont need that, and with axminsters price increases narrows the gap beteen the prices nd had here sip make very good saws, as i mentioned before i want to use and incra fence and mitre gauges with this saw but when i emailed sip they never replied back with the size of the mitre slot

I have a Kity bench saw I think its a 619? coming up. The only extra is the table extension. I bought it new 15 yrs ago and have probably used it on average about 10 minutes a week light use! I'll be selling it for what its worth - I dont know say £400 - £500? a bit less, a bit more?? Has to be cleared from premises by end of March. Will put it on ebay within the next 7 days along with an electra beckam bandsaw 316 ( same age, same use) PM me if of interest....

Hi Warren6
I was in your position about 2 weeks ago and had increased my budget from 500 to 800 and very nearly settled on the charnwood. Had looked at the record and charnwood at yandles, read loads of reviews, was waiting for the charnwood day at yandles. Then i stumbled across "made in china" web site and could buy 5 (minimum order) saws very similar to those i had been looking at, in a colour of my chosing for roughly $900 each!
I have a Startrite bandsaw and it has been great so looked on the bay and found a startrite ta255 for just over 400. Best decision I made. The motor is quiet, is the right size for my workshop, it's built like a tank, and happily cut 2" oak boards with a tired blade.
The three things that persuaded me in the end were,
How many of todays saws will still be around in 20 years time?
Why should a new saw need so much fettling out of the box (discussed on another thread on here, you don't need to tune a new car!!)
And lastly the parts support for the startrite all these years later.
Plus I got back to my original budget!
Good luck with your decision there's some good kit out there.
Cheers

Hi,

If you are still considering the Sip then I can give you my experience of it.

I use a Sip 01332 every day that I am working in the joinery; about two weeks a month as I do general carpentry as well. I think it is a great saw for the price. If is relatively lightweight but sturdy..

I bought it second hand for £450 on ebay off a company that make laminated timber frames and was told it had had very heavy work for 4 years. They had moved to a new workshop with 3 phase and were phasing out all their 240v plant. I must have run this thing for hundreds of hours over the last three years. I buy all my stock in rough sawn so everything gets ripped down to size for squaring up on the Sip saw. I also spend a lot of time on it using various jigs and a cross cutting sled; I cut all my tenons for cpbd and exterior doors on this saw too. Never ever had a problem but the belts do stretch over time. You'll know when this happens as you can a hear a vibration and the thing just doesn't feel like it's cutting in its sweatspot although it still seems to be cutting fine. Belt's take 2 minutes to change and cost about £8 from Sip. I put on a new one every 9 months or so.

It is very good with extractors and dust is not a problem. I have 100mm extraction on the body and -when I have the riving knife and guard on, which isn't nearly as often as it should be - a little trend vacuum machine running off the top.

Its a good saw

DBC

hi guys,

going on a spending spree this weekend, going to bit the bullet and my my mitre saw, table saw and router table as i have a bit of money set by for it all,

i am pretty settled on the sip 01332 as previously mentioned just wondered if anyone that had one would be able to tell me the dimensions of the mitre slots as no one from sip will email me back after 5 emails, just want to make sure the incra mitre gauges will fit it ok

thanks for all your help again guys its been much appreciated

If you shop around a bit, for the price of that table saw, you might find a used combination machine that's in good condition.

Hi

Thanks for that, but i want to get dedicated machines for each task, i will probably be getting the sip 01332 if i can find the mitre slot dimensions, i will also be getting the festool kapex 120 and for the router table i have ordered all the ujk parts to build my iwn cabinet with the router elevator so now i only need confirmation on the sip table saw

Latest posts

Back