Looking for a new laptop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Following the untimely demise of my trusty laptop I am looking to buy a replacement

Not looking for anything state of art but have any of you got a fantastic deal recently or is there a laptop you would particularly recommend

Cheers

If you can afford it then a macbook pro.
If you can't just buy something you are happy to replace in a couple of years. I wouldn't recommend Dell - had a Studio model recently and the power supply went just after the warranty ran out and the battery isn't great either.

My wife bought an Acer Aspire, Intel Core I5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz, 5GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics from Amazon for £425 which is very slim and light and she is extremely pleased with it.

No help towards your five a day I'm afraid!

Acer's arn't renound for their battery life though I think one did get on the Which best buy list.

I had an Acer a few years ago but the battery life was poor.

You should be able to pick up a decent spec i5 from a decent manufacturer (HP or Tosh) for about £399 (or at least you could when I last looked)..

Si.

We bought a MacBook Pro and it hits all of our buttons and would NOT go back to a Microsaft machine. Great bit of kit and I would reckomed one to evryone who asked!!

Battery life is great, at least 7 hours, and the track pad has to be used to be believed! 1, 2, 3 and 4 finger uses to do just about everything you need 8) 8)

The build quality is what you expect from Apple, superb!

Imac

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 554
Happy Apple campers here too, for the main part. My wife prefers Sony Vaios (Outlook junkie) and have to say that they've all been decent machines. My daughter had a Dell that, apart from being a clunky plasticky piece of cr@p performed decently until it randomly died in the middle of some crucial coursework - she's now on a MacBook. My son had an Asus and the overall experience put me off the brand forever - it never worked long enough for us to find out if the battery life was any good or not, it had to be replaced twice under warranty and the aftercare was shockingly bad - he's now on an iMac.

HTH Pete

It's a bit like asking what new car you should get, needs a bit more qualification as to the budget and how/what use it is going to get ?!!!

Cheers, Paul

petermillard":1l79jhdv said:
My wife prefers Sony Vaios

cant recommend the vaio highly enough, i`ve got a vgn-fw series laptop (i think akin to their now f series laptops) the laptop now 3 years old still out performs both sister`s and parents newer acer & hp laptops, i think any laptop with a separate graphics card is a must, not intergrated.
the only fault i can find with it is that it dosn`t always pick up the wifi home network (happens 1 in 15 startup times) but a quick flick with the on/off switch soon sorts that out in about 2-3 secs.
hope this helps as a apple alternative :wink:

Thanks for all your suggestions/recommendations.

Unfortunately, whilst I would have loved a mac funds wouldn't stretch to that, well SWMBO said NO!

Anyway I looked closely at the options and decided to stick with something simple - a bit like me -gets the job done but I aint got no frills :mrgreen:

So settled for a HP Pavillion with 5Gb Ram and 500GB harddrive - not and 1.3but for just under £300 its a darn sight better than my Asus that has just died.

So in a nutshell i'm up and running again, well plodding - those of you who know me will know i'm not built for speed. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back