looking for a large band saw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmoengine

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks
i'm in the market for a largish band saw 250mm depth of cut, (resawing in mind)
i've been trying to evaluate the following 3 machines , i've seen 2 but the 3rd eludes me.
1. basato 5-2. 300mm depth of cut ,2speed ,heavy m/c, rip fence extra !!!, blade max 25mm
2. jet jwbs18 250mm depth cut, single speed, rip fence ,blade max 40mm.
3. E/B bas 500/505 300mm depth of cut, 4speed, rip fence,blade max 25mm.

i would appreciate any feed back from any of you owners of any of these m/c's.

regards
Dave W

Dave,

Have you looked in the Forum Users' Bandsaws thread? My opinion of the Jet JWBS16 (well it's very close relative the Axminster JBS180L anyway) can be found therein. To sum up though; I love it and would choose it over those other two in a heartbeat. It just oozes solidity, and I like that. No affiliation, and, oh boy, did I go into this question myself in a big way. :roll: If you can, get hold of GWW's review of the EB, Jet and Mini Max (Issue #130, Jan 2003) 'cos I found it extremely helpful.

Cheers, Alf

thanks alf
trawled all i could but find yee not any info on largish b/saws
have to try and find that gww you mentioned.
have you at any time found that when using your m/c that a cut may have been better if the blade speed had been different?
what im getting at is basically what benefit is to be had from having adjustable speeds if a single speed m/c will surfice.
regards
Dave W

Dave,

I'm open to correction on this one, but I always thought the different speeds were for cutting metals or plastics. It's always been a bit of a puzzler to me as to why manufacturers bother. I suppose it's just 'cos they can with minimal trouble, so why not? Certainly I've never changed speeds on my Elu. The cut seems to depend more on getting feed speed right more than anything, and that's just a matter of practice.

Now I come to look at that thread again, I see there aren't any other acknowledged big bandsaw owners. Silly me. :roll: Oh, and for a back issue that old, you'll need the information in this thread (look for Andy King's post). :D

Cheers, Alf

thanks alf
i recall many moons ago when i was a humble tool maker apprentice changing speeds on metal cutting bade saw for different hardness of material, ie ss you cutt at a slower speed else the blade teeth heat up and dull.

if any one has comments on blade speeds when cutting vary density woods there in put would be welcome.

any ho i'll try for back copy of review.

Dave W

Coming from limited experience here, but may be worth a pop - I'd go for the Jet coz their machines are lovely! Well built, solid.
Paying extra for the rip fence on the Scheppach??? Bet they charge a fair whack too!
And on the two speed thing, I agree with Alf. Bit gimmicky unless you are cutting different materials.

A

thanks for feed back so far , best £ so far ive found is on the e/b bas 505
but would like to speak to any body who has one
dave w

According to Axminster the best surface finish is produced by fine tooth,high speed and slow feed.Increased cutting rates are obtained by using a coarser pitch,higher speed and faster feed.Longer blade life is achieved by selecting a medium pitch blade slow saw speed and medium rate of feed

Which rip fence is extra on the Scheppach 5/2 bandsaw you are buying?
Is the rip fence that comes as standard not big/good enough or have you been mis-informed?

MENATNMA

hi all
just back from a short break

my error miss read an add quoting mitre fence as extra item on besato.
believe jet m/c is supplied with mitre fence.(was displayed with it at glasgow show)

dave w

hi guys
the saga continues: by off chance i had a very interesting visit to a machine supplier in glasgow yesterday(The Saw Centre).
they had the 3 machines i first mentioned standing side buy side in their show room.
well ,within a few minutes of general visual assessment of construction detail i was able to reduce my evaluation to just 2 machines.

of the jet and sheppach machines i think my ideal would be a machine derived from features of both.

i liked the size and tilt mechanism of the table on the basato.
i preferred the jet rip fence supported and guided at both sides of the table.
i would have wished the fence scale/cursor as on the basato.
the top blade guide height mechanism of the jet was more fluid to use with its hand wheel action.
the blade tension indicator on the basato although within the cabinet was on the operator side not on the opposite side of the machine as on the jet.
the jet machine has a cracking resawing guide (robust large steel pillar).
the blade guide bearings on both machines were of very similar construction, and adjustment.

overall the footprint of the jet machine is smaller and would be a big influence which would have to be considered for a shop with restricted floor space.the basrto will take up slightly more floor space as it does have a slightly larger ground plate and hence would be more stable if free standing ,but as with all serious machinery they sould be bolted down firmly for saftey.

might just have to flip a coin!!!

now for the next exersise, seaking aproval of my finance director (SHMBO)

dave w still in a quandary

Dave,

As it happens I was with my very friendly Jet dealer on Thursday. Had a good look over the 14" Jet BS and was throughly impressed. Liked the action of the guide height mech and especially the upper guide adjustment (although I wish Jet had a similar arrangement below the table). Forget to check out the table tilt bit but will do next time. I think this will be next big purchase. It's just years ahead of my EB 315, although it serves my needs, at present.
Let us know what you end up with.

Rgds

Noel

Back