Looking for a key

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a wee problem. The sample case I'm making has the vertical door locked with the lock on the left. I tracked this lock down to a fairly generic one (in my case, bought from J Penny). I've emailed them but not optimistic. I've only just realised that because this lock is intended for a jewellery box, its orientation is horizontal. To fit it vertically (and keep the keyhole vertical) I have only just noticed that the maker of the sample case filed an extra slot in the lock. That's not too much of an issue...a fag, yes, but doable.

My problem is that the key supplied is not long enough and I need one like the longer one in the photo. Does anyone have any ideas where to source this?

Thanks

is the key just a tube with a lump on the end?, and obviously the decorative handle...

Roger,

I have a huge box full of old and new keys of every size and shape you can imagine.

If you want to send me the key and the length you require I will get my lad to sort through and find one suitable.

PM me if you want to

Cheers

Rog

Thanks, all.

That link to nichelocks is very helpful...completely forgotten about them. They are the ecommerce site apparently of A & E Squires. Ordered a couple of blanks to see if they fit although there will be some grinding to do...hey ho.

Dodge...thanks for the offer but I will need six initially and then maybe more downline and so I need a regular source.

Marcros...yup..very simple.

Spent ages making jigs to cut the hole for the lock and most of the recess for the escutcheon. There is a certain pleasure in being able to quickly replicate a fiddly (but necessarily accurate) job although when you factor in the time taken to make the jig......always a dilemma. So far I've made two dovetail jigs, one hinge jig, one escutcheon jig and one lock jig :shock:

If you continue to have problems PM me. My son has a locksmith business and much of his work is making keys for locks. He would need the lock to make the first key and you would need to negotiate a price with him. The blanks used would be the plain type shown on the left of your image.

Brian

Back