looking for a high quality small bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a 6" (150mm) bandsaw at the moment which is most probably as large as my needs.
However I would like a table model bandsaw (it can have a lower capacity than above).
Main requirement is for a tilting table in both directions and quality as such that tenons and dovetails joints would come off a treat.

Is there such a beast?

I've got the little Delta one.

When set up and adjusted correctly with a decent blade, it is an excellent little machine. Table only tilts front to back though (can you get one that tilts side-to-side?).
Only problem I've had with it it the clamp for the rack and pinion blade guard. If you tighten this too much you can snap a little plastic piece inside. Was lucky to get a new part sent from Delta who was a thoroughly nice chap.
It's also a little know fact that you can manage to squeeze a 1/2" blade into it.

I have the DELTA saw and when I upgraded to a Basato the intention was to sell it but I had got so used to the saw set up with a duredge blade cutting so accurately on smaller work I decided to spoil myself and keep both

Nigel

Thanks for info. I have seen the Delta adverts and your input certainly lets me know this can be a capable machine.

Mudman my mention of tilting table in both directions was a gramatical error, I should have implied a tilt that does minus 10 to plus 45 :roll:

( My original quote would be interesting though)

Ahh, all becomes clear.
I see what you mean now. The table doesn't tilt backwards, you only have the forwards tilt to 45 degrees.
Although saying that, there is a screw under the back of the table used to put the table square to the blade. You could get some adjustment backwards by removing it. I can't check until the weekend though but will have a look then.

I bought a benchtop bandsaw back in March. Its the Record BS250 (I also got the small dust extractor as well). It's the only machine tool I have and I don't have experience of any others to go by but here are my thoughts on it:
1. it uses an induction motor so it's quiet, which I like.
2. it has a cast iron table which is pretty sturdy, which I like.
3. the fences could be better. I always have to check the rip fence is at 90 degrees with an engineers square. The mitre fence is no use at all for anything approaching precision cutting.
I tend to use it for doing the donkey work, e.g. rip cutting stock to rough size; cutting down to the shoulder for tenons which I then finish by hand - I haven't been able to get a precision cut for this yet.
Link to the instruction manual for reference as follows:
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/intricart/product/docs/1/BS250.pdf

Back