Looking for a electrical engineer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob008

Established Member
Reaction score
As above can anyone recommend a good electrical engineer around the north west area I’m having trouble with a powermatic machine
Thanks bobby

having trouble with my drum sander it’s a powermatic pm 2244 the display is not working and doesn’t switch on the drum motor runs whilst I keep the start button pressed but then stops once I let go obviously the conveyor doesn’t work either as it’s not getting any information from the display panel
Hopefully someone can help
Thanks bobby

That rules out a few simple things, but I did find this:

00EE0646-A7BD-4F49-8D7E-27E6A9E06FBB.png

Both of your symptoms correspond with the last two rows - conveyor speed dial not reset after E-stop use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply I’ve ruled that out the display doesn’t light up whatsoever I’m at a loss as there doesn’t seem any uk service agents or part suppliers I’m thinking of asking an auto electrician to have a look but unsure if it’s there sort of thing

I’m thinking of asking an auto electrician to have a look but unsure if it’s there sort of thing
They normaly work on vehicles with 12 / 24 volt Dc systems and not mains powered Ac machinery.

A good electrical engineer should easily get to the bottom of the issue, just a case of logical fault finding.

having trouble with my drum sander it’s a powermatic pm 2244 the display is not working and doesn’t switch on the drum motor runs whilst I keep the start button pressed but then stops once I let go obviously the conveyor doesn’t work either as it’s not getting any information from the display panel
Hopefully someone can help
Thanks bobby
I assume this is a DOL starter. If it is, I would check that any emergency stops are in the "normally closed " position i.e not activated. If the machine runs when you hold in the start button, then the coil seems ok - the issue is with the "hold in ".
Check there are no disconnected / loose wires in the starter -
The "hold in" may be run through the display, but that seems unlikely - the display would normally get power from the circuit in parallel from the motor circuit. Maybe the display takes a little time to "boot up " and may not show in the time you hold in the start button.
A pic of the DOL might help someone with more knowledge of your particular machine.
Hope this is of some help.

Hi, without being in front of it to test etc, it could be coil in the contactor, assuming of course it has one. Post up a photo of the controls if possible, I’m sure it can be resolved here on this site 👍🏻

It might seem semantics but I believe you need an Electronics Engineer, it could be something to do with the wiring in which case an electrical engineer would be able to resolve it. However, it’s probably the power supply that drops the input voltage down for the display that’s got a leaky diode a blown capacitor or a dry joint etc. Board level diagnostics. Without a schematic of the circuit or an excellent electronics engineer it’s usually cheaper to just buy a replacement PCB these days.

The circuit isn’t really very complex that is used to drive these. I’ve repaired before an Axminster Senior Drum sander at board level, they are very simple. The block diagram for your sander appears to run along the same lines.

Attachments

• C071700E-FB1C-447F-970C-E8F11BB4EDD4.jpeg
    C071700E-FB1C-447F-970C-E8F11BB4EDD4.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
No I’ve identified the problem is a small transformer the size of my fingernail cost me £350 for a company to send out an engineer only to inform me the part is unavailable atm so I’m stuck with a unusable machine
What’s your problem

Hi Bob008
Well the good news is that you have a positive id of the failed part you now need to find a person/company that can do component level repairs on circuit boards, there are quite a few out there, I have had a pcb repaired in the past.
I doubt the transformer is unique and bespoke to Powermatic. have you asked Powermatic if they can supply one or if not the spec?
I did a quick google and found this firm - well worth calling them before you go any further

https://www.greasley.co.uk/circuit-board-repairs-near-me-contact-greasley-electronics/
Is the circuit board attached to the pcb removable as if it is then it can be posted to a repairer.

good luck

No I’ve identified the problem is a small transformer the size of my fingernail cost me £350 for a company to send out an engineer only to inform me the part is unavailable atm so I’m stuck with a unusable machine
What’s your problem
On the face of it, that sounds like daylight robbery.

Get a photo of the part and the part number and we should be able to find it, or pull up a datasheet and get an equivalent.

On the face of it, that sounds like daylight robbery.

Get a photo of the part and the part number and we should be able to find it, or pull up a datasheet and get an equivalent.
I totally agree and they actually tried to charge me an extra 2 hours of labour the company is called northern electrical based in blackburn lancashire

No I’ve identified the problem is a small transformer the size of my fingernail
To identify this as the problem you must have tried to measure the primary and secondary voltages, transformers are normally very reliable. If this is on a PCB then it is more than likely it supplies the power to the control circuitry, 5 volts is common but 12 / 24 / 48 are also found. Now these voltages will be Dc so following that transformer will be a rectifier which are more prone to fail than a transformer.

Take a close up picture of the board, there are ways round obsolescent components and if that transformer is shot then you could get a small self contained PSU to supply the circuitry instead providing you know the operating voltage .

Back