looking for a digital camera

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a simple and cheap digital camera to post pics of finished pieces on the board.

Do need a wide angle lens to fit everything in the picture ? I'm thinking buying secondhand or if there's a new one on the cheap.

Any suggestions ?

My mobile phone doesn't have a camera.

I also need to be able to take pictures of kayaks and canoes, doubt that a phone camera will suffice for this kind of pictures.

Any examples with of some picture you took with your mobile ?

If you want to do a lot of photography of kayaks and canoes etc out on the water, plus workshop stuff you could do a lot worse than the canon D10 powershot

its not the cheapest at £269 inc vat (jessops) but it is fully waterproof to 10ft (and thus will survive a capsize etc so long as you dont drop it !), shock resistant to falls of 4ft onto concrete (as when you knock it off the bench) and fully dust sealed (handy in the workshop)

We've just bought two for work as we are out in all weathers.

course there are options a lot cheaper - decent compacts start at about 60 notes ( I'd avoid the super cheap ones from the likes of agfa, kyocera etc) but these will not be waterproof or dust resistant - so t depends on how much you want to spend vs what use its going to get.

Two-years ago, I bought a Fuji FinePix F50 for £150 from Play.com and it's been fine for the work I do. I do sometimes wish I had a camera with a wide-angle lens but, I've covered it in glue, sawdust, oil and dropped it on the concrete floor many times - it still works perfectly! :D I couldn't say the same for the cheap Mustek camera I had before this, which must've choked on sawdust or something...

Generally, I think Fujifilm have a very good reputation. I'd certainly by another camera from their range, if I had the money. :)

It depends what you mean by cheap. A quick look at Tesco Direct gives a huge list, but the cheapest that i would consider is http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-0810.aspx for just over £50 and seems to be well recived. Don't bother with digital zoom - it just enlarges the standard picture so that the more it is zoomed the poorer the definition, but 'proper' zoom can be useful.

Misterfish

i have a hp photosmart for sale. you can have it for £35 plus postage.
it comes with a 128mb card, lowepro case, andrechargable batteries.

Panasonic have really got their s**t together with the compact Lumix range. Worth a look IMO.

Me too.

Panasonic Lumix cameras are doing very well for themselves. They get noticably more cameras in the top reviews.

Another vote for the Lumix. My mate has a pocket version and it produces smashing pictures. I have the G1 and am still learning to use it, but very happy.

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 Pro I could be persuaded to part with for the right price. It produced magazine-quality pictures for several years up until I bought the G1 last year.

S

I use a kodak that has 4megapixel max but never have it set on anything other than 1 megapixel. All the images I post on this forum and ebay are at that resolution and perfectly acceptable (also the time taken to upload to flickr is less).

So if you only want it for forum /ebay use buy cheap secondhand - just make sure you get the charger and a decent battery with it.

For our family camera we use a lumix - i bought it in a 50% sale in America (when it was $2 to the £ so was less than £100) 3 years ago and it has a 10x optical zoom- brilliant. I checked the psu was 110-230v and just bought a US/UK adaptor at the airport on my way back.

Dave

I'll back the Lumix, it's a very nice piece of kit, doubt it would survive a drop and certainly don't drop it off your yak!

I just got one for about £170 i think, the Lumix TZ6. It also does very nice macro shots and wide angle 16.9, and very impressive video too, mega zoom without digital enhancement.

Can't fault it as yet.

Thx guys for the input.

I bought myself a secondhand nikon 3200 in excellent nick and comes with a couple of goodies, charger and 2 extra batteries, not a scratch to be found.

Now all i need to do is post some pictures soon...

Back