Looking for a C.I table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody sent me any complimentary tickets to the show at Exeter, so won't be purchasing a Cast Iron table saw this year. :( :( :(

Well you could have had the free ticket on offer here on UKW.

I hope you're joking, DW... :? I can't really believe you didn't buy a £1000+ CI tablesaw for want of a £6 show ticket :shock:

NeilCFD

Neil":2pidd2w5 said:
I hope you're joking, DW... :? I can't really believe you didn't buy a £1000+ CI tablesaw for want of a £6 show ticket :shock:

NeilCFD

He must be joking, given the likes of Noel flew in from Ireland, hired a car, paid for a nights accomodation, and didn't purchase something of that value. Chris and myself both drove ~300 mile round trip, + nights accomodation. You either want to go to the exhibition or you don't!

Adam

devonwoody":sswzk8kk said:
Even M & S found it did not pay to charge their customers to visit their stores 100 years ago

And? You can nip up to the Axminster shop any day of the week - given your name is Devonwoody! Completely free! And presumably only a few miles away! What has that got to do with paying for a ticket to a show?

Adam

so won't be purchasing a Cast Iron table saw this year

I won't apologize if this sounds blunt., but either you want a saw bench (a Scheppach TS2500 wasn't it) or you're not serious at all. Sitting at home griping about not being paid to go out shopping seems a funny way to go about things.
Maybe combine a trip to view some machines into a nice day (or weekend) away, perhaps a stopover at a pleasant country B&B or hotel with a nice meal and a few drinks.

Ike

ike":1j1v6ggt said:
but either you want a saw bench (a Scheppach TS2500 wasn't it) Ike

Ironically, Scheppach weren't at the show. I think Axminster and Scheppach are fairly much competiting head-to-head now, so they aren't invited to attend.

How about a trip up to Homewood in Worthing Devonwoody? He delivers down that way, and if you ring in advance, he'll have the machine all setup for you to try. (I'd check his maximum delivery distance as it's a little unfair not to buy the machine from him, after a test drive, as he goes out of his way to help).

Adam

The trade knows some are lookers and some are buyers, perhaps this show is set up for lookers.
In the past I had a stand at a show (gift fair at Torquay) The exhibitors paid and the visitors were welcomed and not charged. Purchasers came from all over the world.
So I,m not paying as a visitor, and the exhibitors loose a prospective buyer.

devonwoody":39o5r8re said:
The trade knows some are lookers and some are buyers, perhaps this show is set up for lookers.
In the past I had a stand at a show (gift fair at Torquay) The exhibitors paid and the visitors were welcomed and not charged. Purchasers came from all over the world.

Like I said, the shop is free, in Axminster - why not go there?

Alternatively, the D&M show (which I posted dates for on here) was free, and Scheppach were in attendence. In fact I'd almost rate that show better than Tools 2004. Devon to West London and back would be an easy run - unlike Sussex to Exeter :( .

Adam

I think in that case, you lose, no one else.

Have we not covered this ground before, DW? You made your POV clear then. Let's not beat it to death with a big stick, please.

Cheers, Alf

Finding the Mod hat hasn't had time to gather dust.
annoyed.gif

Alf":q4yy4e0t said:
Finding the Mod hat hasn't had time to gather dust.

You should have left it in the workshop, instead of taking it on holiday :lol:

asleitch":ywb302rk said:
Neil":ywb302rk said:

NeilCFD

He must be joking, given the likes of Noel flew in from Ireland, hired a car, paid for a nights accomodation, and didn't purchase something of that value. Chris and myself both drove ~300 mile round trip, + nights accomodation. You either want to go to the exhibition or you don't!

Adam
And a fortune of beer money too.....

Noel

I did go to the show but I agree with Devonwoody, why should you have to pay to buy tools. It seemed to me that all the sellers were very busy and ALL the money went through Axminsters tills. I know it costs to put on a show but increased sales should amply cover these costs. My wife and I did visit the show as part of a weekend break on the continent as travelling from Leeds just to the show wasn't viable.

Guys-it was worth £6 to see the L-N demonstrations-and you don't have to pay to park.
All in, it was well worth it.
Philly :D

devonwoody":21g8kwat said:
ALF

Am I still gagged?
<Sigh> My personal preference would be to gag the lot of you, to be honest...
rolleyes.gif
However, if you have some fresh and new point to make, knock yourself out. Just be aware I may break my own rule and lock the thread if it goes round and round in circles. And please also remember Axminster et al have real human beings behind their commercial facades - be reasonable.
ermmm.gif

Cheers, Alf

OK Guys, my final comment.

If I had spent £30, two tickets travel and some refreshments.

Would I have been able to see all c.i. table saws available in the U.K. and would I have been able to get my hands dirty trying something out at Exeter or would there have been other viewers that would have also wanted the same customer treatment.

If these were my requirements I don't think I would have got my £30's worth

surely you would`nt have been able to drive around the whole country looking at
all c.i. table saws available in the U.K.
for your 30 quid anyway? irrespective of the show.

surely the show being a "concentration" of c.i table saws in one area would have been a good chance to look at some? (saving petrol money)
granted you can`t try them out............

steve

Back