• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Looking for a Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rixarena

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
So similar to Mario's post I am currently looking for a 14"-16" maybe 18"Bandsaw. I have been looking at the Laguna 1412 (£1400 sh) or axminster at 3327b (£1600 new) or sabre 450 (£1400 new). But happy to be told about any other machines that might be more suitable or second hand. Still undecided if it should be cabinet mounted or to the floor.

I typically use one for straight cuts upto 25mm and would like to have the ability to rip upto 300mm for veneers or box sides but not sure what I would use it for in the future.

I have looked around online and bandsaws don't seem to be compared/reviewed as much as table saws.

Thanks for any help

300mm resaw depth is heavy going for any bandsaw IMO
You want a machine which is at least 200kg, which is the best chance of finding something with the beefiest tension screw which on some of the mounted saws might be troublesome for a decent blade
like a 3/4".
Some of the newer machines have bells and whistles like detensioning lever, but a decent screw is a lot faster than a fine pitched skinny screw, so a bit of a marketing gimic unless you are swapping blades often.
I'd be looking for anything up to 20" machine as a compact one will have the same footprint as a smaller one.

You should have no trouble finding information on bandsaws, maybe not comparisons though.
That could be what you're issue is, as this comes up fairly regularly.

You could mention what your supply is, as that might be a limitation should you be using a 13a household plug, then that would mean that a 2hp motor is about the max you can go, if not intending to get a sparkey in to upgrade to 16a blue plugs.
The issue with single phase motors is the split second starting surge, which will pop a fuse or trip a breaker.
But.....

If money is tight, then it might make sense to look at 3 phase machines (which have dual voltage motors, look for 240v on the motor nameplate, and stick a hundred quid VFD/inverter on
Then you can run a 3hp motor on your supply, as the VFD has an easy adjust soft start feature
which you can tune into your or should I say your supplies liking.
My three phase, 3hp 24" machine with cast iron wheels running idle uses about the same juice as my old shoddy laptop did, nowhere near a kettle.

I seen a few 20" machines on the bay recently which might be worth looking at.
Here's a recent thread which might be of interest.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/first-bandsaw.133078/#post-1511179
All the best
Tom

Hi, that's really great advice thank you very much for the quick reply, my thinking was 300mm would be like top speed but typically under 200mm and not all the time. I can put in a bigger supply so not limited to 13a which is good. Space is more a limiting factor, although I'm guessing bigger machines aren't that larger physically apart from bigger tables.

The compact 20inchers are about the same size, apart from a bit taller.
Pity I didn't have a photo of the compact 20" machine assembled, as the table was pretty small.

If looking at new saw "reviews" then make sure and have a look at the machine being used at close to max capacity start to finish, and not a dishonest edited video, which is prevalent on the net.

If using the machine as a primary ripping tool, say if you don't own a TS, then you might be concerned about speed, quietness, wear on thrust guides,
which would make it advantageous to get a good sized machine, and not a cabinet mounted one, as you would not have issues with those things if using blades which provide sufficient beam tension.

Going bigger again than a compact 20" machine, and what's to be gained from that..
the fact it is nicer to cut tenons on a larger table, yes indeed,
and being further away from the blade is nice too.
I posted a few machines in the link which might give some insight into that.

Good luck
Tom

Hi all,
So similar to Mario's post I am currently looking for a 14"-16" maybe 18"Bandsaw. I have been looking at the Laguna 1412 (£1400 sh) or axminster at 3327b (£1600 new) or sabre 450 (£1400 new). But happy to be told about any other machines that might be more suitable or second hand.

Two other machines to consider new in a similar(ish) price bracket.

iTech BS400 - 16" flywheels, 1.5kW motor, £1918 (inc VAT) new.
Centauro Smart 400 - 16" flywheels, 0.75kW motor, £1798 (inc VAT) new.

@ScottandSargeant sell these two saws and the RP Sabre 450. Might be worth talking to them to find out more about the pros and cons of the machines. The Centauro is interesting as it's made in Europe by one of the most respected high end bandsaw manufacturers. The "Smart" model is their new entry level offering and seems a little underpowered. But then you would expect that they have designed a saw that can deliver. I'd certainly be interested to find out more about this bandsaw.

Hi all,
So similar to Mario's post I am currently looking for a 14"-16" maybe 18"Bandsaw. I have been looking at the Laguna 1412 (£1400 sh) or axminster at 3327b (£1600 new) or sabre 450 (£1400 new). But happy to be told about any other machines that might be more suitable or second hand. Still undecided if it should be cabinet mounted or to the floor.

I typically use one for straight cuts upto 25mm and would like to have the ability to rip upto 300mm for veneers or box sides but not sure what I would use it for in the future.

I have looked around online and bandsaws don't seem to be compared/reviewed as much as table saws.

Thanks for any help

Well if you can get a Record Power Sabre 450 new for £1400 you should buy it, cheapest I have seen is around £1700 ish.

All these are on the bay with buy it now prices, not checked any auctions
There's an axi machine in sittingbourne for 450
Axi AWEFSBB£450.jpg

Or this Centauro SP400 in London for 600

SP400 £600.jpg

And just for fun I see some far nicer machines, but not close to you
£695 in Manchester for this Centauro compact
Screenshot-2021-3-21 VERTICAL BANDSAW STARTRITE CENTAURO CO600S INDUSTRIAL VERTICAL BANDSAW eBay.png

Or this B500 for £1500
Multico B 500 £1500.jpg

Bigger Multico for 1250
Multico 600 £1250.jpg

You're close to London, so if you're patient then you would likely find a machine like the first Multico for half the money of these, but a bit newer and not missing a fence either.

Might be worth looking on gumtree too, often stuff goes there for a song.
Good luck

Thank you very much for the links, some interesting machines! What are the thoughts on new prosumer Vs second hand commercial/industrial?

Try to find a video of any saw for that money new, and see if the video is edited ...
should you be looking to make straight cuts and not heavy sweeping curves all the time
then you might be more concerned about thrust guides, for one reason.
Beam tension on wider blades will make quieter cuts, as the blade resists diving into the guides.

Maybe have a look at John's Blog
https://sites.google.com/site/jteneyckwoodworker/Or have a read of some of Van Huskey's old posts on the creek.

Might be worth noting that carbide tipped blades are soon to be available, if you really want them, for probably about the same money as a good blade, less than a bimetal.
Ian should get some to try, these are available in numerous widths and gauges.
This is John's cut from a CT, one board planed with spiral thicknesser to compare.
ROU4IRVi0yee7qIdBKl4ktShsWSbvTmDjHmkCwtEhq5THee5ZIh_pkVYygeDIcxrHbr93FD5dW_wr0--OTugMThRbd7zM3bBkTo3vb8s9JKDHzw4c1KxcT_dJb2cPl84FvbhoziDXTutRMSZ2cpEwWKzLq6NyRPQyJNxBYZQiO0AOeD0MwN30CucCjcaF3BEgmoKbHgVD94FzRLe6TixTRewP3LFHOZJVtPMB4fD8R0i74taom4578QsF4kvSLZuCuYbsqHq0RyeuXOI9ju7oHiizzaux0Y1-C_KIvB8Lta1XIxklPXKLjJTAGHth2VIoPIenjUZ7lDLcFwL4wA3BGAsjI2k89K7kTO_cfy_w64NmiWvmWMf-Tfih8EiWSUAgh0Qa5IMF9EAKrIc8OX3X9zmpwA5CBtKBYrQr9NFzdQ49xw6VaA-SVeBNg1tFbFSh-pW7M_xeRKOjb652YdApn7_qu1XeNluxpkzd8iDaNUz1LiuAL0XlS-Qrz0XTLILMGi6mYSs2I-VZrdwR8Ga6V8Kt0kvQLuFEAQEHIbo5UPZUbzKcl33GYlpoDIEw82QabVC7NFQF2oKcMRHI5NEQVQR20CeFEiVg-sEzRmo5f66Jvsyblqy4EvPOn4YXBJLvVX_BhEJt_xvOLRBr_amrzJBooiYwS67ow2LUKcP_yh0Eoey62pqLTr10prUy-KSgTrAjfPB_O68skNEBWmw7UiU8-qwWsZVMAMBpoTcF0w0nl00Kg=w1006-h566-no

Gauges of blade is something to be aware of, should one be fooled about max blade statements.
No mention of any figures of tension K PSI from most manufacturers.

Here's another Mario, who isn't very happy about the smoothness of his machine, but the saw still cuts well IMO, as in pretty quiet and fast. no edited cuts needed on his channel.

It is a 700mm machine though, but a 20" machine shouldn't be too far behind.

Hi all,

Thanks for any help
Look at this: Jet 16” JWBS 16X band saw review
Have one of these after a Norwegian supplier advised me against the equivalent Record, as he said they stopped selling them after too many warranty complaints. Have been very pleased with it, and it cuts 10" oak without problems. Properly adjusted it will cut nice and straight planks, even with a 6 mm blade, and the motor has plenty of torque. Should maybe admit a very good offer was also a determining factor when deciding to buy it :rolleyes:
Another thing is, if you have enough room, to go for one of the heavy oldies. They last forever, and at least here in Norway they go for a song.

Last edited:
Yes my space is a little limited as single car garage and already to many tools lol but I do like the idea of a bigger machine and probably don't own moving it. There is quite a bit of choice and will try and get a visit to Scott and Sargent as not to far away. There an offer on the hammer n4400 at the moment which looks like quite a good machine but also as not in a rush could wait till a second hand one comes along. Thanks all for the replies so far.

Latest posts

Back