Looking for a Bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi have searched though many posts on here regarding bandsaws but I am struggling a little.

I am working in my garage and would like to purchase a Bandsaw but one that is not too big but is unto the job. I would want it to be able to cut through 2-3" oak or maybe thicker without any problems.

I am aware I may need to upgrade the blade and have read a lot of comments about Tuff Blades, so I am factoring that in.

So I have about £500 ish to spend or a little more if its worth it, what would you recommend?

Thanks

Mark

Hello Mark
Gonna suggest you answer a few of these questions to get a better idea of what you need.
Not too big...
Most 20" machines and under have all the same footprint, not much more than 3 or 4"
unless its a benchtop machine like the well regarded Inca
They do grow in height but that's rarely a problem?
When you get over 20" they start getting a good bit bigger in footprint,

What length of stock are you talking about, how much?
Are you going to use this for ripping your stock instead of a tablesaw?
Are you planning to use the fence of the machine or are you happy freehanding the cuts?
Have you got 16amp sockets or are you willing to get a sparky in?
Do you run a business/are in a business premises?
Is noise a factor? smaller ones wont tension a blade great enough to withstand deflection which means
constant rubbing of the thrust guides, if you are cutting longer stock often this might be an issue.
If your only cutting short bits then it won't.
If you only have 13a plugs, are a hobby worker without any business premises , and plan to use the machine in place of a tablesaw then I suggest getting a used three phase 20" saw and sticking a VFD/inverter on it which cost's about £100, used three phase machines are cheap.

Just giving you my two cents,
Hopefully some of the questions will enable to to get more specific answers
Tom

Thanks for the reply and some good points to consider.

Stock length - probably about 1000mm wish
Yes I will be using it for ripping stock
Decent fence would be great
I don't have any 16 amp sockets, its only my garage but would be willing to get someone in, as long as it doesn't cost the earth.
I am starting a small business, making some small pieces of furniture.
With regards to noise, it really depends how noisy it is, probably can't answer that until i hear it. The ones I used at college never sounded that bad.

Thanks again for your reply,
Cheers
Mark

Mark18PLL":3r3xpyf2 said:
...I don't have any 16 amp sockets, its only my garage but would be willing to get someone in, as long as it doesn't cost the earth...
No pun intended?

Cheers, Vann.

Honestly, no pun intended lol

I have seen a Jet JWBS14 on eBay for about £780 and looks in great condition. what's the thought on this one?

If you intend to make money with it, you need to get the biggest you can squeeze into the space you have. Smaller machines are more fiddly, and are not made for business situations, breaking down more often.
having said that, a 20" diameter wheel bandsaw is going to take a quarter of your entire workshop, and maybe stick through the roof. (Tom, a UK single car garage is only 5 metres x 3 metres and 2 metres tall at best!).

I would say a 14" would be a good compromise, but at your budget even that is a used one. Older used machines are stronger made, but have had a hard life and will most likely need mechanical work to get them going well.
Record and Axminster have about 90% of that market between them. I have an axminster 14" (350 mm in metric) and I can rip up to 180 mm tall.

Dont forget dust extraction. Bandsaws make a lot of dust, and if youre there for many hours each day it becomes a very serious health risk.

Mark18PLL":1agx7nv5 said:
Honestly, no pun intended lol

I have seen a Jet JWBS14 on eBay for about £780 and looks in great condition. what's the thought on this one?

Looks well worth a viewing.

For the money...
There's a 20" BZB Wadkin on gumtree for £550
I don't believe the use of a VFD complies with regulations in business .
I would buy another single phase motor and get the sparky in.
Which would be my preference, but without faffing about like making a fence and possibly getting the sparky in ...
There's also another smaller single phase KITY 400 for £480
That might suffice for now

You should find a better deal for a small machine like that, if you wanted one.
Also search bandsaw, along with band saw, and even bansaw gets a few hits sometimes.

Tom

I have also found a record BS350 for £140 but it has no table, belt or blade, condition looks pretty good though.
I am trying to avoid buying anything that needs a lot of work.
What brands would you recommend if I was looking second hand?

Cheers
Mark

I wouldn't say that Wadkin saw is far off as good as you can get on a 20" saw.
As sunnybob said get the biggest you can get in business
For a buisness...
There's very few English machines that you could look at that aren't real heavy duty.
Theres the old Startrite brand 502, Multico, another Wadkin or two and maybe something else which doesn't come to mind.
Some folks might say next in line or equivlent is the Italian machines and Italian spec machines with differences only in paint choice, in various sizes of floor standing machines and a few other lighter duty was like the latter I mentioned.
Axi jet and record power/ newStartrite make up the majority of consumer and trade and then there are some more moving in like sip and laguna most of this stuff comes from the east, apart from the premium of the line from one of two of them.
I would look for a 20" of Any brand, the heavier the better, they will all be a managable weight at 200 kg or a bag of spuds more and be able to tension a 3/4" blade. (that's honestly tension it to a decent amount)
Bearings for the wheels don't usually cost more than a fiver or thereabouts each.
You can buy new tires which can be expensive, or you can make your own cheaply with gasket rubber.
Then fence might be a bit of a time sink though, if you didn't want to buy one.
I think I seen that machine on eBay auction for good deal cheaper not so long ago.
You don't really need side rollers when you run a saw blade that has enough beam strength
But a thrust is necessary.

The 400 saw should sell easily enough if you need something now, depending on how close it was.
and you could run it now as it is a small motor on it.
I doubt you would find that much of a better deal for a machine like that...
It boils down to.....
How long are you willing to wait for one? :)

I just bought a Record Power BS400 and while it's more expensive than what you stated, it's an absolute cracker of a machine. Great fence, accurate, very solid body with no flex when the blade tension gets high. I bought three blades from tuffsaws to deal with curves, veneers, resawing and cutting tenons etc and have the peace of mind of the Record guarantee if anything goes wrong.

I'm the sole trader of a small business too and for something as versatile and much used as a bandsaw it's worth getting something solid and accurate.

Cheers

Damo

Well im still on the lookout for a bandsaw.

As I mentioned I would be using it for shaping work, tenons and maybe some re sawing. As with anything that I buy I always end up spending more than I planned lol. The thing is I have seen the Record Power 350 Sabre and it looks a great machine. I am wondering that if I buy something cheaper that I may regret it later as I like to try and buy once or at least no too often.

I am just wondering if i am over thinking this and buying something that is beyond my needs, also if I am re sawing I don't actually have a planer to square it up to start with or a thicknesser either.

Thanks
Mark

Latest posts

Back