Looking for 20mm Router cutter to make MFT type top..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for 20mm Router cutter to make holes in MFT type top..already got 1/2" bit, but need 1/4" SHANK!

Thanks for any advice.

Gerry

Be aware that many “20mm” bits for MFT tops bore a slightly oversized hole; the ‘made for the job’ Festool bit I used gives a ~20.15mm hole so I had an engineer pal grind it down to make a snug fit with the 19.95mm Benchdogs. There’s a Trend 20mm bit that works well, but it’s 1/2” shank. Trend C030DX1/2TC - Two Flute Cutter 20.0mm diameter. Be interested to hear how you get on with the Wealden bit.👍

Edited to add; those Wealden bits look like straight cutters to me, don’t think they’re the ones to use for boring holes. 🤔🤷‍♂️

It does say they're suitable for plunge cutting. They're a bit short, though.
Plunge cutting isn't boring though - aside from the initial short (~6mm max??) plunge, it relies on lateral movement to make the cut; boring bits have a cutter in the base, between the two flutes to clear the bottom of the cut. 👍

PERSISTANT COUGH DETECTED, EVACUATE THE INFECTED

giphy.gif

Plunge cutting isn't boring though - aside from the initial short (~6mm max??) plunge, it relies on lateral movement to make the cut; boring bits have a cutter in the base, between the two flutes to clear the bottom of the cut. 👍

Go on, how is plunge cutting not boring? Are you thinking ramp cutting?

Aidan

Go on, how is plunge cutting not boring? Are you thinking ramp cutting?
Aidan
Standard 2-flute cutters won't bore a hole - try it, you'll end up with a negative donut. As I said further up, bits for boring holes have an extra cutting edge in the base to clear the waste - the middle of the donut. Standard 2-flute cutter on left, boring bit on right:-
IMG_0163.jpeg
IMG_0163.jpeg

Standard 2-flute cutters won't bore a hole - try it, you'll end up with a negative donut. As I said further up, bits for boring holes have an extra cutting edge in the base to clear the waste - the middle of the donut. Standard 2-flute cutter on left, boring bit on right:-
View attachment 96849View attachment 96849
... sizes above 9mm diameter having an additional centre carbide tip to ensure a faster and cleaner cut when plunging ...

Wealden.

Could you not make a small stepped /straight drill guide and use forstner/auger bit, respectively? Just curious.

Back