Longworth style bowl chucks - any experience?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minilathe22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I currently do not any reversing jaws for my chuck, for holding a completed bowl and finishing off the base, remove tennon etc. I was debating buying a set of the 4 large quadrant style jaws with rubber buttons, and then I came across this in a few places:

longworth-chuck.jpg

Its called a Longworth style chuck, on the back it as a dovetail for mounting into 50mm chuck jaws. It looks like it would be much easier to use, but some of the reviews online are not so good.

Does anyone have experience of using these?

OK for locating and centralizing a reversed bowl.

My findings, and I've made several versions, have always been that clamping forces are very restrictive and tailstock support is essential for anything more than light sanding.

Dependant upon actual construct, I found I could often be in the situation of needing three hands to enable applying clamping force whilst securing the jaws.

I made some from 12mm mdf, routing out the slots and using cork buttons. I'd agree with the earlier comment about needing the tailstock if cutting. I've even used clingfilm to help hold a wide bowl to the jaws to take the pip off.
Worth a go if you have a router. The one I made came from instructions from an Australian wood turning club

I made this one over 10 years ago. I used particle board flooring for the back and the front is laminate flooring both from offcuts. The holders are small sink plugs filled with silicone . Ply would work fine too. As the others said it is for finishing the bottom. I can get away with a light finishing scrape unsupported but have had one fly off by overdoing it. No problems when sanding. Plenty online instructions on making them.
Regards
John

Attachments

• PB170004.JPG
    PB170004.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 23
  • PB170003.JPG
    PB170003.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PB170001.JPG
    PB170001.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 22
  • PB170002.JPG
    PB170002.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 22
What lathe / chuck do you have. One option is homemade Cole jaws mounted by wood plate chuck jaws. I can photograph what I have done if it helps.

Longworth jaws are awkward to tighten, need a third hand. Try making a set of reversing jaws out of 12mm rigid plastic, like the Nova ones, as I did. And buy the buttons from Charnwood.

I have a commercially produced Longworth style chuck of the sort minilathe showed which I use only occasionally. I find it a bit unwieldy, and agree with Chas that actually putting a bowl in the jaws would be easier if you had 3 hands. I think, however, it is important to recognise that these chucks are not intended for anything more than light trimming of tenons, finish sanding and polishing etc. The instructions that came with mine indicate that it shouldn’t be used at speeds > 600rpm.. Even so, as belt and braces, I always bring up the tail stock.
D.

Yes the picture is of a manufactured one, for 16" bowls they are around £140 to buy which I think is too much if it cannot hold things securely. I only want it for removing tennons as suggested but the quadrant version is probably more versatile.

Once you buy a new tool you always find a thousand other ways of using it!

Latest posts

Back