Longer self edit time?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
Apparently an advantage of subscription is a longer self edit time.
What does this mean?
I’d be very annoyed to find myself cut off mid edit as a non subscriber.

Last edited:
I presume it's the time from when you first submit your post for which you can go back and edit that post (e.g. to correct typos you didn't spot before submitting the first time). After a certain amount of time, the edit button at the bottom disappears.

That seems daft. So if a poster makes an error then they cannot correct it other than making a corrected repeat post later that someone else might not scroll down to.
I’ve no intention of paying. My contribution is the countless number of motor questions that I respond to and sometimes need to correct in the light of further information coming to light in the subsequent discussion.

That seems daft. So if a poster makes an error then they cannot correct it other than making a corrected repeat post later that someone else might not scroll down to.
I’ve no intention of paying. My contribution is the countless number of motor questions that I respond to and sometimes need to correct in the light of further information coming to light in the subsequent discussion.

I'm not sure what the justification is: it's just something I've noticed on the MIG welding forum (the edit button disappearing). I presume it's something like an attempt to stop (perhaps disgruntled?) people going back and removing the content of old posts and making conversations not make sense any more, but that's just a guess.

Being able to edit the first post in a thread you've started is an extremely useful option if it is a WIP-type thread. This enables you to update the thread title to let people know that there is another chapter added. Also, in Sales, you are actually required by the forum rules to update the title when an item has sold. If the editing time is no longer open-ended then these useful abilities will be lost.

I'm not sure what the justification is: it's just something I've noticed on the MIG welding forum (the edit button disappearing). I presume it's something like an attempt to stop (perhaps disgruntled?) people going back and removing the content of old posts and making conversations not make sense any more, but that's just a guess.

People can misuse the Edit function. That annoying guy who was going to build a shed his way no matter what advice he received kept going back and editing his posts after he had received a response, rendering the response redundant and thus attempting to make the responder look silly. Nonetheless, in my view the open ended editing time had advantages which outweigh those sorts of disadvantages.

Being able to edit the first post in a thread you've started is an extremely useful option if it is a WIP-type thread. This enables you to update the thread title to let people know that there is another chapter added. Also, in Sales, you are actually required by the forum rules to update the title when an item has sold. If the editing time is no longer open-ended then these useful abilities will be lost.

Those are interesting points, particularly the one about threads you own.

For the "SOLD" title, the way the MIG Welding forum handle this is that they just ask people to report their own post and say in the report "this item has sold". The moderators then mark the thread as sold (and move it into a different forum area for completed listings I think).

I am happy to be a subscriber and have just paid. I learn a great deal here. Those who do answer countless questions with intelligence and accuracy IMO deserve a free subscription. How about a voting system where users could vote for someone to get a free extended sub? I'd vote for MyfordMan, MikeG, Custard, Droogs and several others (and apologies to those I've omitted).

In the meantime, MyfordMan, I have just posted a question about a motor ....... :)

........ I'd vote for MyfordMan, MikeG, Custard, Droogs and several others (and apologies to those I've omitted)......

You need to hang around the Hand Tool forum a little more. There are some extremely knowledgeable and helpful posters there who should be on your list.

Nice as your comment is, I don't think any forum should start dividing into "us and them", as giving some members perks is bound to be controversial and divisive.

Last edited:
We all give of our time to help here voluntarily and I certainly dont want any different status. If the editing thing becomes a problem and ends up making a nonsense of my replies then I'll simply withdraw and people can come and find me on other forums that behave more sensibly and without charge.

Thanks guys. Fair enough. Anyway, you know your considerable efforts are appreciated. And I'd be happy to pay the contribution as a contribution, without expecting extra privileges. And I didn't mean to exclude the many other helpful posters, I just mentioned the ones I happen to read the most often.

I am willing to work with any member that needs a editing time for a specific area if you'll just send me a "conversation" when it comes up. As in all things, the general settings has to apply to all, but in some cases there are work arounds. I'm actually pretty easy to work with.

I do not think I will be subscribing, sadly that is not through choice.

Food in the Garno household is not that far away from becoming a luxury.

So for that reason I'm out.

I do not think I will be subscribing, sadly that is not through choice.

Food in the Garno household is not that far away from becoming a luxury.

So for that reason I'm out.
But you do not have to subscribe to stay here as before. We do not want anyone to leave due to that. That is an OPTION, not a requirement. And we totally understand C-19 and other issues have cause cash flow issues for many. So, please continue to use the forum as usual. If you need something you don't have, just send me a message. I'm more than happy to work with you or anyone.

But you do not have to subscribe to stay here as before. We do not want anyone to leave due to that. That is an OPTION, not a requirement. And we totally understand C-19 and other issues have cause cash flow issues for many. So, please continue to use the forum as usual. If you need something you don't have, just send me a message. I'm more than happy to work with you or anyone.

Lol I don't mean I am leaving the forums it was a quote from Dragons Den :) (Those rich folk)

Obviously sometimes users will need to go back and edit their old posts, or there woukd be no photos from me, or more importantly AndyT, and probably many others who have had to change photo hosting site at some time and went through the significant chore of updating all the links !

About how long back does that post/thread go back? And in what forum?

Latest posts

Back