Long shaft clock mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayoneill1964

Reaction score
Hi all.
I’ve decided to make some clocks using whisky staves and am struggling to find mechanisms with long enough shafts at a reasonable cost. Can anyone suggest a supplier? Stave are approx 22mm thick so my understanding is that I’ll probably need mechanisms with a shaft of approx 31mm. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Thanks for that. I’m a complete amateur so might have to explore how to make a jig first!
4 bits of ply and some superglue, or use that method to do to make a Gucci version from a solid piece of MDF, it only needs to work however many times you need to use it. If you’ve not got a router then you could use a hole saw large enough to circumscribe the movement and chisel out the waste or even… do it all with a chisel

A Forstner bit will reduce thickness down to a level where some gentle chiselling should allow a fairly regular movement to be used. Have a look at Yorkshire clock makers we used to buy their movements hundreds at a time. They come in several spindle lengths as regular items

A Forstner bit will reduce thickness down to a level where some gentle chiselling should allow a fairly regular movement to be used. Have a look at Yorkshire clock makers we used to buy their movements hundreds at a time. They come in several spindle lengths as regular items
Thanks. Will look them up.

Back