Long-necked African herbivore?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree, a chancer who thinks its called a chute plane. lots of them about nowadays!

chris

Eric The Viking":5ao9tb6b said:
...is this a realistic price?
If I was in the market for a No.51, I'd want a Lie-Nielsen. The quality is at least equal, the design (frog) is better, so the Stanley would have to be considerably cheaper to tempt me.

Of course a true collector would see it differently...

Personally I think he should keep it :roll:

Cheers, Vann.

(pass the popcorn please)

Eric The Viking":3d8piwc4 said:
It's very slightly* too expensive for me though.

*for extremely large values of 'very slightly'.
The Lie-Nielsen jobbie at $US500 equates to $NZ625, shipping extra. So £500 for an old Stanley, which equates to $NZ1000, again excluding shipping, is not even going to get consideration.

Of course it's different for you guys, as shipping for the Stanley will be cheaper and a Lie-Nielsen will be subject to VAT, Excise tax, etc. But as I suggested before, if all things were equal (including the price) I'd opt for the Lie-Nielsen.

But if I was coughing up that sort of money I'd go for a 10¼ (LN of course) :ho2

Cheers, Vann.

I have to agree with Vann...unless you are an avid Stanley collector...buy the LN plane..cheaper and without a doubt better quality...
Brian

Stanley 51 chute planes have gone for similar money on ebay fairly recently, but including the #52 board and in considerably better condition.

The trouble with the 51 from LN is that I'm used to, and set up for, my No9 so I'm not sure why I would want the £450 outlay for a 51, followed by a niggling need, and most likely another 2 or 300 quid, for the board when it finally arrives.

Having said all that, I do have the space... :lol:

Eric The Viking":sruu39js said:
Serious question Scouse, Is the #9 skewed? I know it's bevel-up.

If it is, the #51 is very hard to justify in comparison.

E.
The No9 is bevel up and not skewed, but works well enough on a shooting board. I used to have one :mrgreen: The LN51 has twice the mass (iIrc) of the No9, a skewed blade and is much better...I have one of those now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob

Scouse said:
Stanley 51 chute planes have gone for similar money on ebay fairly recentlyquote]

oh dear, have i been hoist by my own petard? :oops:
chris

Hi Eric, as Rob says it is a straight, bevel up 2 inch blade; no cap iron as such, but a traditional lever cap.

Joking aside, if you were to be buying a plane for shooting then the 51 would be a good choice if you could justify the extra £100 or so; the skew and soon-to-be-available (apparently) steel board make it an attractive option. For me, I don't think I will be shooting down that slope any time soon! :mrgreen:

soulboy":9vk1b6c1 said:
Scouse":9vk1b6c1 said:
Stanley 51 chute planes have gone for similar money on ebay fairly recentlyquote]

oh dear, have i been hoist by my own petard? :oops:
chris

Chris, I was confused myself by the chute/shoot thing myself so I looked it up; the Oxford English Dictionary states: "shoot; plane (the edge of a board) accurately", the word 'chute' is American, apparently.

So you were right, he's a chancer! :lol:

cam":1jyujccc said:
I have to agree with Vann...unless you are an avid Stanley collector...buy the LN plane..cheaper and without a doubt better quality...

For that kind of price, you could "just" buy a pair of skewed mitre planes from Philly.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back