• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Long Case clock design advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

I am looking for some designs for a long case clock of a fairly simple design (like a shaker type of thing- partly a stylistic choice but mostly for ease of making). Are there any books anyone could recommend or a website with detailed plans.
I would put up with an electronic mechanism with or without a pendulum and not as long as the 6 1/2 feet high old fashioned grandfather clocks, there are some really beautiful ornate ones way beyond my capabilities. I haven't done any veneering either, so solid wood preferred and nothing with a column that needs a lathe and no inlaying.
It sounds as though I should be trying to make something else really!
Thanks
Another Keith

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Norm also made a shaker wall clock which was 31 1/2 inches tall by 11 1/8 inches wide. There's a picture of it on the front cover of one of his books

How do I know these measurements so precisely? Send me a private message if you're interested in this project ;) :) .

Gill

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Kevin Ley made a narrow, very shakerish, one in F&C a while back. Er, wait, yep, it's in his book "Kevin Ley's Furniture Projects: Practical Designs for Modern Living". (I dunno, what is it with these writer's for F&C and thier enormously long book titles? :roll: ) Anyway, from memory I think it sounds a possible for what you're looking for.

Cheers, Alf

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
May be not your thing.

but The Woodworker ( May2005) had as its main article had a long case clock design, mission style very Arts and Crafts.

I did'nt like the finish but in something more natural, oil, it could be better.

alan

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a two(or was it three) part series on building a long case clock in FWW recently, sometime around the start of this year. I can take a look this evening. From what I recall I have all parts.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, some great tips. I will try and get the FWW on back order.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
The Pensylvanian one had a lot of detail & some turned columns if I remember right, may be too fancy for what you want.

Jason