London Underground

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was in London yesterday for the annual meeting of the Register of Professional Turners along with Graham (Old Soke) who also enjoys this forum.

The meeting went fine and we spent the afternoon listening to a "rivetting" talk on adhesives from a World authority who admitted to being a bit of a mad professor, being told about the chemical construction of what seemed to be every adhesive in the book and some that were not, how they worked, why they didn't and a history of court cases of glue failures around the world. Not bad as most turners only ever see CA or epoxy glues.

My main moan of the day was the London underground, it's a few years since I've had the pleasure of travelling on it and must admit it appeared a hell of a lot cleaner than my last visit but also a hell of a lot busier. There are rules and regulations governing the movement of almost every animal on the planet but it seems that human beings can be packed like sardines into a tin can that's moving violently in all directions at ridiculous speed with no problems at all.

Anyone of you who has to use this mode of transport regularly has my deepest sympathies.

Regards....Mike

Mike, feel lucky that it wasn't a 25 degrees day in July or August.......You'd have needed your Aircap etc.........

Noel

A few years back I was on teh central line destination Holborn.

It was blisteringly hot and there was a lady of um, larger proportions, standing in front of me.

Unfortunatley she fainted, I managed to catch her but as she was some what larger than me she started to slip down through my arms.

I made another grab and steadied her, but to no avail she started slipping again.

The net effect was this poor lady being slumped on the floor by my feet with her dress up over head tangled in my arms. In the end I had to shout for some one on the train to help me.

I have never been so embaraased in my life, fortunately the lady was spared any emabrrasment as she was out for the whole thing.

Signal

chris, LOL,

the whole time this was happening i was thinking please please dont wake up cos if you do your gonna thump me and by the size of you im gonna be out cold to ;)

Singal

To Signal

Back in 1953 when I was an innocent (not like the lads today) we were packed like sardines even then and some naughty gentleman pinched the bum of a spinster next to me.

The lady started huffing and puffing and I got the blame, but I didn't do a thing, honest.

Must admit I started courting very shortly after that incident but never got the response thst I got that day from a lady. :D

Mike":22hsnzwe said:
There are rules and regulations governing the movement of almost every animal on the planet but it seems that human beings can be packed like sardines into a tin can that's moving violently in all directions at ridiculous speed with no problems at all.

Indeed tis more than true. I was a junior officer on a destroyer in the Persian Gulf in early summer 91. Its pretty hot there at that time of year and given that there was a bit of a ruck (hammer) going on at the time more priority was given to the missile cooling systems than to crew. There were 6 of us in a cabin which was tiny (c 8 x 10ft ).

We wrote to the dept of Agriculture explaining that we were going to be transporting pigs, :)^o) 6 to a container and gave them the cabin dimensions and expected temperature c 110 in old money. Needless to say we got a response threatening us with court action if we were to go ahead with the journey =D> . Odd thing is though the MOD thought it was okay! =; but at least our CO thought it was funny enough to pay for our beers on the next run ashore :eek:ccasion5: \:D/

As an aside - what are the chances of two forum members both being involved in quite dodgy shenanigans on the tube - albeit that they were innocent parties O:) :whistle:

Cheers

Tim

As an aside - what are the chances of two forum members both being involved in quite dodgy shenanigans on the tube - albeit that they were innocent parties

Do I take it form that statement that you occasionaly where ladies dresses then?

LOL

Signal

Signal":1n58croe said:
Do I take it form that statement that you occasionaly where ladies dresses then?

What?? [-X No I haven't got the legs for it!! :whistle:

I meant you and DW!! :lol:

T

try traveling on the tube twice a day 5 days a week, wedged in like a sardine!

:evil: ](*,)

Oh how glad I am I only have to do it once a fortnight now =P~

Signal

tx2man":20xti6xl said:
Serves you all right..............

Next time, GET A CAB :roll: #-o :lol:

TX

or keep as far away from London as possible :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cheers

Tony
(who prefers country to city)

...and don't forget that with an Oyster card they can track your movements. They know which station you entered, which day, what time and where you got out. They can tell which bus you got on, where, what time and date. They can't yet tell where you get off the bus.

For those who are saying 'Oyster Card...wozzat' it's a plastic card with an embedded chip that you put money 'into' and this can then be used throughout trains, buses, tubes in and around london. Uses proximity detection so you just have to 'wave' the Oyster card over the sensor and the gates then open.

They are now talking about extending Oyster card throughout the UK as a cash alternative.

Roger":1abkqxf4 said:
and don't forget that with an Oyster card they can track your movements.

So actually the two doctors who wrote the underground song aren't being derogatory at all in the last line but just using technology to help with their diagnosis.

:lol:

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back