London Plane Windfall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
High winds have brought down a large branch from one of the London Planes outside the office.
Council have just come along and cut it into bits and left it, presumably for later collection.
So, does anyone know if it turns nicely?
Thinking I may pick up a lump or so when I leave tonight.

Hi Barry,

London Plane is a nice timber to turn, it works well and takes a variety of finishes and can be pleasing to look at.

Enjoy yourself, suggest you check with the owners of the timber first, I'm sure they'll gladly give it away though.

Regards....Mike

Currently got two large logs in the car. :D Both about 4' long and about 8" to 10" in diameter and both with some crotch wood. Were a couple of larger ones but I couldn't lift them or fit them in the car.

I did check with security who basically said a blind eye would be turned. But I know there's no problem as it was blocking the road and the council chopped it up and left it for the company to shift later.

It's nice actually as I've watched those trees outside the window for the last year and something made from one of them will be a nice memento when the contract finally comes to an end.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns.

Hi Barry,

A lot of my commissioned work comes from clients that either have trees removed from their own properties or by the council from the streets around their homes. All are looking for something to remember the trees by. What a funny lot we are, nice thought though.

Before you rush to get the new find onto your lathe, spend a few minutes looking at the timber, try to visualise the eventual shape inside, look for any defects or problems and turn them into features.

The 4' lengths are ideal, if you're not going to turn the timber wet, make sure to seal the sawn ends to help prevent moisture loss and the eventual splitting that could spoil the branches.

Best of luck.

Regards....Mike

Mike,

Tried a piece of the wood this weekend and you are right, it does turn very nicely indeed.

I had picked up a small lump that was a junction of two branches that when I looked at seemed to have a small bowl inside.

Turned a small pot pourri bowl with a sort of triangular cross-section to it, a shape that I like quite a bit as being simple but effective. The branches have left two distinctive circular features and the junction of the two gives some very interesting grain in the bottom of the bowl.
Did have a bit of a nightmare with the finish as I kept getting some funny matt patches that I think was due to me sanding through the underlying danish oil coats before putting a wax coat on top. Bit the bullet and removed all the finish from the inside and re-did it. Looks nice now. Just need to put some finish on the base and all done. I was going to take it into work and let my team have it for a team sweetie dish (there's always some reason for choccy) but LOML has taken a shine to it so I guess I'll have to do another.

Didn't get a chance to take any photos to upload but will next weekend if anybodies interested.

mudman":kwymz5b3 said:
Didn't get a chance to take any photos to upload but will next weekend if anybodies interested.

Come on now, interested is is not the word. :wink: I am not a turner but I love to see what anyone has made, how ever it is made. :D

Cutting Crew and the other turners here have posted things, that make me wonder what the slope must be like on that side of the hill. :shock:

Hi Barry,

As DaveL says it's good to see pieces of work on here whatever they are, furniture or turned items, by all means photograph your work and put it on air.

Look forward to seeing the finished article, when timber is a freebie it always looks better. It is also very important to look after the lady of the house as well, she usually finishes up dusting the gallery.

I hope to put a bowl onto the gallery later today that was a freebie piece of olive ash from craft supplies, they were throwing it out because it looked so bad no one wanted it. The blank was full of splits and looked awful. I used it in a demonstration to try and show there's not much that needs to be thrown away when there's a turner near by.

Regards....Mike

Will do, picture tuit in place for the weekend.

The tree surgeons just came along and effectively pollarded the poor tree. Just because it had the temerity to drop a branch on the traffic. :roll:

Another big pile of logs down there now but unfortunately they've all been cut into really short lengths.

Not tempted anyway as I really can't fit anymore logs into the workshop. I really am going to have to get some time to make something big or to just turn out a load of bowl blanks or something, anything. :oops:

Back