London Plane Bowl part 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
A second bowl from my London Plane stock, the grain on the blank was fantastic so I kept that on the flat rim otherwise, I would have lost it. It also was fading away on one side so I put that where the thinner part of the rim is. two burnt lines to highlight the rim and the bowl edge. I also added some burnt lines to the base as it was quite large because of the off entre bowl did not want it to tip.

Finished with sander sealer and then buffed with carnauba wax and then another polish with woodwax22. Measures 8 1/2" X 2 1/4"

C & C welcome

DSCF1015 (1024x716).jpg

DSCF1016 (1024x715).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1015 (1024x716).jpg
    DSCF1015 (1024x716).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCF1016 (1024x715).jpg
    DSCF1016 (1024x715).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 396
Like the Off Centre treatment, really makes the most of the wood characteristics and the burnt lines accentuate and project the form decisions.

Re- Finish, not sure about Woodwax22 being the best on top of the Carnauba, completely compatible but the Bees Wax content is a much lower melting point than the Carnauba and will loose its gloss quicker if handled regularly, Microcrystalline would have been a better flourish to deepen the shine level I think.

In fact I often go that root on open pored Oak pieces, the Carnauba seems to fill the pores somewhat(something like using shellac filler) and the Microcrystalline adds that extra handling proof advantage and a little extra gloss. Seems to soften the surface irregularities to my eye.

Beautiful bowl, Derek.

edit to add - I really like the way the black rings pick out/ connect with the spalting (?) on the thinner face. I keep looking at it!

CHJ":23cuk6qw said:
Like the Off Centre treatment, really makes the most of the wood characteristics and the burnt lines accentuate and project the form decisions.
Thank you Chas and Chris

Re- Finish, not sure about Woodwax22 being the best on top of the Carnauba, completely compatible but the Bees Wax content is a much lower melting point than the Carnauba and will loose its gloss quicker if handled regularly, Microcrystalline would have been a better flourish to deepen the shine level I think.

In fact I often go that root on open pored Oak pieces, the Carnauba seems to fill the pores somewhat(something like using shellac filler) and the Microcrystalline adds that extra handling proof advantage and a little extra gloss. Seems to soften the surface irregularities to my eye.

Thank you Chas

OK I confess I picked up the wrong tin :oops: :oops: :oops:

That works so well to show off the grain - I'd never have thought of it! Stunning.

i was sure I posted but must have lost it :-(
can you explain how this was mounted? and how you got the 2 burnt circles to line up ?

Steve

SteveF":1ayc906w said:
i was sure I posted but must have lost it :-(
can you explain how this was mounted? and how you got the 2 burnt circles to line up ?

Steve

The blank is mounted to a block of wood in the back I drilled two holes one on centre so the face could be turned as well as the first burnt line. Then a second was drilled 3/4" off centre this is then mounted and the speed lowered on the lathe to prevent vibration and the bowl was turned as well as the second burnt line added. Hope that helps Steve

SteveF":3pmi99xa said:
I keep forgetting about screw chucks as I usually use a faceplate
thanks Derek

Steve

Use one of the larger screw chucks like a 3/8" one as you need a good fixing and the block you use needs to be large enough so it sits flat against the jaws of the chuck when you move to the offset position

Latest posts

Back