Logs splitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you all,

I turned these two pieces of cherry logs a few days ago to create candle holders and unfortunately they started splitting. They still look good and rust but I was wondering if anyone knows any methods on how to stop this from happening?

Wood is pretty green, only chopped in Oct 2021 - last year! - it’s only happening on the top at the moment and I have finished it with melamine and Hampshire sheen.

If any of you more experienced have some tips I would appreciate it.

many thanks and happy new year

D

Attachments

• 906D2A75-7D0A-46CB-8839-5529BC8AE030.jpeg
    906D2A75-7D0A-46CB-8839-5529BC8AE030.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 43
There is really no way of cutting a disc off the end of a log without it cracking. It is all because of the fact the wood scrinks a lot more along the growth rings than in the radial direction.

The splitting can be reduced by drilling a large enough hole in the center removing the center of the log and leaving the wood free to contract as it shrinks in perimetre. However this is no perfect solution and they may crack anyway. Green timber always cracks at the ends as the end grain dries faster than the wood further in.

I have plenty of branches and logs that have not split, I just leave them in the workshop for years to dry. Slow and steady is the answer and I would say that you did not dry this log long enough, cherry has a splitting and warping nature, so let it dry for years. Oct 2021 is not long enough, for birch, or ash that should be fine. If unsure always test and heat in the oven at 80 degrees for an hour or so, if it does not split then use it, if it splits it is still too green.
Time is always the answer to drying branch wood.
tempImageUiaNqG.jpg

As stated above really, cherry is notorious for cracking/warping, I have several pieces that are more than 3 years old and when turning still produce very damp dusty shavings, just gotta seal the end grain, store it and forget you have it for a few years. It will be worth the wait though, I absolutely love the colour and form of cherry. Alternatively embrace the crack, at tea light holders with the bark still on I think the cracks add character to the piece.

Back