Logs for milling - Guildford area.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have access to these Oak trunks cut within the last 2 weeks. Sorry for the quality of the photos (I grabbed them from a video) but I think they serve the purpose. There are 6 logs about 7-8ft long and range from about 20-30 inches across. They look very solid and well worth the effort to me.

My plan is to get them milled on site into usable planks but I'm having difficultly finding a local mobile milling service. Someone who can either mill them at a reasonable cost or we could work out some share deal. Any ideas of someone offering trustworthy services in this area?

A forum member with the tools to convert them and a desire to share the yield would be my preference as I'm not doing this as a commercial venture. I can offer my labour to support this sort of arrangement. I've made a commitment to repay the providers of the logs with a reciprocal favour.

The vehicle access is excellent, but I need to act quickly.

Also, I'm no expert but I'd guess my best option would be to convert them to 1-2 inch planks so that I can air dry them over the next few years. I have storage space for drying, the workshop and tools make use of planks of this size. I know about sealing the ends and stacking correctly, but any over tips would be useful.

Cheers, Jon

logs2.jpg

logs1.jpg

Wood Monkey, I can't help with recommendations I'm afraid, but I'd be interested in the offcuts if you haven't any other plans for them (fuel for the log burner next year). Happy to come and help on a weekend if you need an extra pair of hands dealing with them.

Thanks Jason. Your link has come up trumps and I'm in the final stages of confirming the milling date.

JMC - You'd be surprised how many people want to help me for the same reason as you ;-) My Dad is top of the helpers list in return for a off cuts for his log burner, but you are the 1st reserve. There may be another chance at the same location so I'll drop you a PM once it's clear.

Thanks for your help. Pictures of the milling to follow once its complete.

Wood Monkey":9cqx9pki said:
JMC - You'd be surprised how many people want to help me for the same reason as you ;-) My Dad is top of the helpers list in return for a off cuts for his log burner, but you are the 1st reserve. There may be another chance at the same location so I'll drop you a PM once it's clear.

No, I wouldn't be surprised mate, lol. Thanks though and just let me know if you need any extra hands - always happy to help. I do a fair bit of work for my local wildlfie trust on a weekend, and enjoy working outside so much more than being in an office all day. So if there is a chance for some work like this along with some free fuel, all the better :)

Back