Login to get prices - What!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzl

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a DIY security camera; it wasn't installed for that function but to prevent a lot of false alarms from my PIR light. The PIR light wouldn't operate unless motion was detected as well.

Anyway we are moving and I thought as the new house is a bit out of the way it would be a good idea to get a commercial security light. Found one I like and decided to check out some prices online and probably 50% or more sites want me to "login to view prices". Do they think I want to make multiple accounts just to log into multiple sites just to compare their prices?

They want your email address.
Either that or they want to prevent 'bots' like pricerunner scraping their site for price comparisons.

You normally have to use a real email to register because they send a confirm code. I don't like doing it but if you have to then log back in immediately you get the price and delete the account or change the email address. I reckon the second option is more useful because its likley to overwrite their marketing database. A kind person would use a false address, a mischevious one (what, me?) would change it to their own customer service/sales email. If they insist on a phone number being filled in use their contact number.

I get equally fed up with the login or register to view ...........

They want your contact details. You will forever be plagued with emails, phone calls and texts. If their security is rubbish or they want to monetise your data they will pass it on with the prospect of scam calls for insurance, traffic accidents, market research etc.

As a result, unless I am convinced it is worthwhile, I just move on to another site.

It's also the thought of creating an account and finding out they are no cheaper than anyone else. Anyway they have lost a potential sale.

Either that or they want to prevent 'bots' like pricerunner scraping their site for price comparisons.

You normally have to use a real email to register because they send a confirm code. I don't like doing it but if you have to then log back in immediately you get the price and delete the account or change the email address. I reckon the second option is more useful because its likley to overwrite their marketing database. A kind person would use a false address, a mischevious one (what, me?) would change it to their own customer service/sales email. If they insist on a phone number being filled in use their contact number.
There are services available that give you a temporary email address to use for such occasions.
You access any messages sent to the temporary address via your web browser so can get the necessary confirmation codes etc then a few minutes later it evaporates.
I use 10minutemail.com which is free but I think there are others.

I have my private email for friends. And for all other emails for buying registering ect ect I use Protonmail under a differant name they dont track you or sell your Info and I get no spam

There are services available that give you a temporary email address to use for such occasions.
You access any messages sent to the temporary address via your web browser so can get the necessary confirmation codes etc then a few minutes later it evaporates.
I use 10minutemail.com which is free but I think there are others.
My yahoo account (had it since the last millinium !!! :-O has as standard, 'temporary' emails that send any messages to my main account until it runs out...

Yup - if I can't get away with a space, or a full stop, for the address I'll use a fake one. There's at least one company out there that thinks I'm a gender-fluid 120-year old living in Antarctica. 0 or 01234 567890 are good phone numbers, or, as you say, theirs.

Or you can call yourself Mr. G. Raff and give the number of a zoo.

Letsby Ave. is a fun place to live.

O. I. Like
The Cockwell Inn
Tillit
Wilts

I don't bother with any of those ephemeral email services - I just have a Gmail one I use only for registration purposes, and I never look at it once the confirmation is done. I know that means I might miss out on the opportunity to help the niece of the Nigerian ex-finance minister transfer some money, or to grow a bigger ****, but hey-ho.

Or you can call yourself Mr. G. Raff and give the number of a zoo.

I rarely use Starbucks but if there is no alternative I hate their mock super friendly write your name on a cup performance. Slartibartfast of Magarethea cause them to pause. (for those who are younger, Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy) How do you spell that sir? Easily is the usual reply. But you have to be good humoured and kindly, and remember the servers are likely minimum wage zero hour employees cranking the grinding wheels of the Starbucks profit engine.

I'm trying to get quotes for exernal wall insulation - a lot of companies want me to pay them to tell me how much the work will cost.

Back