Log press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can find a log press to make my saw dust and chipping into logs for my home fire ? Ive seen one in a mag but cant find the mag and cant find anything for around the £50 mark on the net . I only want to make a few logs but all i can find are mass production presses . Thanks in advance ,
Cold of Hanworth :lol:

I've been thinking about bodging something like that with plywood and a car jack. The problem that I see is what to stick it together with. Cause I have about 6-8 large bin bags full of it, and due to Laburnum being toxic to animals and walnut having a herbicide in it, it's no good for fertilzer. What I have can only be burned.

And due to being paranoid about fire cause my shed got burned down 18 months ago I don't want a wood burner in the WS but I do know alot of people that have log fires.

JFC":3m01eo2c said:
Does anyone know where i can find a log press to make my saw dust and chipping into logs for my home fire ?
fwiw I bought one of these a year or so back and tried to make my own "sawdust logs". It was pretty much a disaster they dont bind together very well and once dry just fell apart. It may be that I didn't have the right technique but it was just too messy and didn't work.
If you think you might have more luck pm me and you can have the brick maker for the cost of the postage because I've given up :oops:

cd

:lol: i expect ill have the same results CD but its worth a shot . pm sent and thanks .

Haven't tried one of these myself, but guess if I did I would use several sheets of newspaper as a liner, not sure if they would need to be wet or not, then pack with the dry sawdust and fold the newspaper over the top and press.

Hopefully this would then contain the compressed but essentially loose sawdust within the newspaper liner and be sufficiently strong for it to be handled.

Don't know if it would work in reality but may be worth a go.

Interested to hear how you get on with it as I would be tempted to get one myself if it turns out okay !

chisel":29iql6v2 said:
Haven't tried one of these myself, but guess if I did I would use several sheets of newspaper as a liner, not sure if they would need to be wet or not, then pack with the dry sawdust and fold the newspaper over the top and press.

I did try this too but no luck either, it may be becuase most of my "sawdust" is from turning and as such is quite large they compress ok but as soon as they are out of the mould they spring apart.

I'm happy to admit defeat and let Jason have a go :)

cd

You need to wet the sawdust before compressing. I mentioned this topic to my dad and he said try mixing normal pva glue to water at either 10 or 20 to 1 mixand this should be enough to bond it together. When they are manufactured alot more pressure is used and the startch in the wood is what holds it together. After doing some searches i found a guy in the USA used a 20 ton hydraulic press like they use in garages. He had a piece of thick walled steel tubing welded to a steel plate and another smaller tube in the center. Then a plate that fitted inside with a hole in the center was used th press the sawdust. I'll see if i can find the site again.

steve

Thanks CD i've just pressed my first logs and guess what ......they fell apart :lol:
Let me know what i owe you and where to send it to . Ive got the second batch underway .

I've sent you a pm

JFC":2s3lsjf9 said:
Thanks CD i've just pressed my first logs and guess what ......they fell apart :lol:
Won't say I told you so just in case you get it to work :wink:

cd

i have looked into these, and you need to soak for around 5 days, plus add paper and card to the mix.

Andy

Can you burn wallpaper paste? Im wondering about toxic fumes - I have no idea what goes into it as you can guess.

The whole idea as i thought it was to burn my sawdust and heat my house at the same time rather than sending my waste to a landfill site . Adding anything other than sawdust and water defeats the object .Dont get me wrong im no eco warrior , i was trying to save myself a few trips to the dump .
On the other hand adding glues and other things will gunk up the press and maybe give out toxic fumes when put on the fire .
If im that cold ill turn up the central heating :lol:

JFC, i think you need to add the paper, which turns into a pulp in around 5 days to act as the binding agent. I don't think the sawdust will bind together without this.

I'm saving all the old junk mail that coming in the post, along with my timber shavings to make fire bricks.

Andy

Back