Log Cutting Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
I am too much of a fairy to go near a Chainsaw, has anyone used or have experience of saws like the Scorpion or B&Q's £50.00 rechargable, i've just been given a load of 3/4/5" branches that i would prefer not to cut by hand and are too large to drag in the workshop??

Many Thanks

Tony

Och c'mon Tony.... fit are ye?? a man or a wee moosie...???

<stifled chuckle..>

you're probably cheaper, faster and a LOT safer to use a proper bush saw; make sure the teeth are set to cut on the pull stroke, wax the blade heavily and have at it. An initial cut on the underside (no deeper than 1/3rd) will help prevent a green-stick fracture when gravity takes over.

use a proper bush saw

Is that AKA a Bow saw? I've found there's nothing much sharper/more vicious/quicker (keeps you warm on a winters day).

Ike

Hi Tony,

I cut down two apple trees in my back garden using a powersaw kindly lent to me by next door, I have no idea what it was called but was made by B&D and looked rather like the scorpion saw with a bigger blade.
It was ok on the thinner branches, but anything over a couple of inches thick was seriously tough going and gave me a shocking case of white-hand. Going through the trunks was like a trial dreamt up by one of the more sadistic Greek gods.

For the tree in the front garden I bought a Bosche electric chainsaw from BargainCrazy (for about £50!) and was astonished at how easy and safe it was to use. I cannot recommend a chainsaw enough for cutting thick stuff - just apply a little common sense and it's completely safe.

A friend of mine tried to do similar with one of those reciprocating 'Sabre' saws - didn't have much luck apparently.

Hope this helps,

V.

ukTony

Do not bother with a Scorpion saw, its the most useless piece of equipment that I have ever known. You will be for ever and a day trying to to cut through anything with that.
Get yourself a bowsaw for logs it works like a hot knife through butter!

cheers, aldel

Tony,

Sandvik make a cracking bowsaw - cuts like a knife through butter. Not sure where you can get one though - sorry.

Or an electric chainsaw would be my prefered option. I have a petrol one, but it is a bit of a nuisance having to go outside to use it - especially in the cold and the rain!

tony dont get a scorpion ,the wife got me a nutool one it says to help the saw use a sawing action :roll: :roll: get a bow saw you will have arms like arni :wink: :p :p

Sandvik arrived yesterday, cuts lovely for £15.00 thank christ ive given up smoking though. Many thanks for the tips now have a great pile of green wood for the Lathe, will now have to negotiate borrowing the Microwave and Washing up liquid :)

Back