Loft Ladder Conundrum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puggers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We’re undertaking fairly extensive renovations and have hit a problem with the positioning of a loft ladder. In context with the rest of the work, it’s a pretty minor snag but one which has probably got me over-thinking the solution.

There’s a Youngmans’ wooden folding ladder already in place (folds in/out on itself through three sections) which is a pretty sturdy thing with nice wide treads and handrails. As loft ladders go, both my wife and I feel safe using it.

One of the alterations undertaken is to bring a stud wall out in our bedroom into the landing and across what used to be the original staircase run - it makes a huge difference to the room in terms of size and orientation. However, when now opening the hatch which is just outside the new doorway, as you fold out the ladder, the top section catches (by c6”) the new plastered area above the door. We knew we’d face this “catastrophe “ 😉 but the positioning of the stud wall was naturally more important and with limited other options because of the scope of wider works.

I contacted Youngmas (Werners) to see if it was possible to simply swap out the ladder for one of their sliding aluminium products using the same hatch. It’s not that easy apparently due to weight distribution etc,etc, but can be done if I bulk up the thickness of the hatch. I’m still unsure why that’s required because the aluminium one is lighter that the existing unit (and will fit in a smaller hatch than we already have) but that’s what I was told by the Technical Team.

This is where some of you may have experience - my next thought was to make an extra cut in the existing ladder where I’ve marked with blue arrows and fix in sturdy scissor/ladder hinges or similar. This would create a 4th section which means the first outwards fold is smaller and misses the new wall.

My concern would then be the weight distribution or general safety at the foot of the ladder where there will be two smaller sections of around 14”.

I don’t mind taking this ladder off and getting a slider but as I say, the current quality is good and sturdy so if there’s an alternative solution that works or brand anyone’s familiar with which I can simply swap out whilst using the same hatch, I’d be glad to hear.

PS. The 2nd photo is of the bracket supplied with the ladder which I’ve tried to source but doesn’t seem to be available in isolation and which I could have used if cutting the sections down as described.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 4A9699D0-01E7-47D6-B917-368D04DB245A.jpeg
    4A9699D0-01E7-47D6-B917-368D04DB245A.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • 17BBD584-EB47-40E9-ADD1-70836330641B.jpeg
    17BBD584-EB47-40E9-ADD1-70836330641B.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
@Jameshow has pointed out my buffoonery as I’ve been proposing a cut too many in my original photo!

A single cut and hinge in the revised one will give me what I intended from the outset of the post.

@MARK.B. thanks, these would certainly have worked had I gone for my original posted picture but a single cut and hinge would suffice and offer more stability

Attachments

• C45E67EE-A728-4513-8DAA-5E432D7AEBFE.jpeg
    C45E67EE-A728-4513-8DAA-5E432D7AEBFE.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

We’re undertaking fairly extensive renovations and have hit a problem with the positioning of a loft ladder. In context with the rest of the work, it’s a pretty minor snag but one which has probably got me over-thinking the solution.

There’s a Youngmans’ wooden folding ladder already in place (folds in/out on itself through three sections) which is a pretty sturdy thing with nice wide treads and handrails. As loft ladders go, both my wife and I feel safe using it.

One of the alterations undertaken is to bring a stud wall out in our bedroom into the landing and across what used to be the original staircase run - it makes a huge difference to the room in terms of size and orientation. However, when now opening the hatch which is just outside the new doorway, as you fold out the ladder, the top section catches (by c6”) the new plastered area above the door. We knew we’d face this “catastrophe “ 😉 but the positioning of the stud wall was naturally more important and with limited other options because of the scope of wider works.

I contacted Youngmas (Werners) to see if it was possible to simply swap out the ladder for one of their sliding aluminium products using the same hatch. It’s not that easy apparently due to weight distribution etc,etc, but can be done if I bulk up the thickness of the hatch. I’m still unsure why that’s required because the aluminium one is lighter that the existing unit (and will fit in a smaller hatch than we already have) but that’s what I was told by the Technical Team.

This is where some of you may have experience - my next thought was to make an extra cut in the existing ladder where I’ve marked with blue arrows and fix in sturdy scissor/ladder hinges or similar. This would create a 4th section which means the first outwards fold is smaller and misses the new wall.

My concern would then be the weight distribution or general safety at the foot of the ladder where there will be two smaller sections of around 14”.

I don’t mind taking this ladder off and getting a slider but as I say, the current quality is good and sturdy so if there’s an alternative solution that works or brand anyone’s familiar with which I can simply swap out whilst using the same hatch, I’d be glad to hear.

PS. The 2nd photo is of the bracket supplied with the ladder which I’ve tried to source but doesn’t seem to be available in isolation and which I could have used if cutting the sections down as described.

Thanks in advance
I got mine From Ironmongers Direct online to make my ladder (the same as yours) more foldable into a smaller area (missing a cupboard at foot of the ladder) when unfolded. Hope you understand that !!

Thanks @DRC, I did look through Ironmongery Direct (nearly 2000 hinges) and was going to settle on a counter top hinge attached to the front (which I can beef up) rather than side of the ladder.

What type did you use and if it’s not too much trouble, would you mind posting a photo?

Thanks again

Back