Lock Rebate in Edge of Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to install a pair of these:

p1.png

Ranges :: Zoo Accessories :: ZAS - Stainless steel accessories :: Lever action flush bolt - 20 x 150mm - Products

into the edge of one of a pair of doors with a rebate. They are FD30 fire doors so solid (reasonably) but not in a fire door application.

The rebate is like this:

p2.png

and I need to cut a recess like this:

p3.png

Is this a hand tool job (in which case I had better sharpen my chisels) or is there an easy way of doing with with a router?

I hate fitting those things. Take out what you can with the router but you will need to do a bit of chiselling as well.

Sometimes you keep trying them in and they won't sit flush but you just can't see where it's catching.

If you want to complicate things you can always get a bit creative like I did on my house.

flush bolt.jpg

This is just my opinion- remove door , cut the main rebate with a router and then finish off with a marking knife and sharp chisel - use a door stand for stability. Nothing stopping you doing it all with a router but where’s the fun in that .. 👍👍

If you want to complicate things you can always get a bit creative like I did on my house.

Oooh. I like that idea - looks good. But, the rebate is already glued on so probably not feasible. But one to remember for next time.

This is just my opinion- remove door , cut the main rebate with a router and then finish off with a marking knife and sharp chisel - use a door stand for stability. Nothing stopping you doing it all with a router but where’s the fun in that .. 👍👍
Is a router with a fence stable enough along the thin edge? I had though that I might need to make up a couple of right-angled pieces of ply for support with a fence attached to ensure a straight edge.

You can just clamp something like a 3x2 to the side of the door level with the edge which kind of makes the door thicker giving the router a bit more to ride on.

Is a router with a fence stable enough along the thin edge? I had though that I might need to make up a couple of right-angled pieces of ply for support with a fence attached to ensure a straight edge.
Well I’d use a 1/4 “ router and take several passes. If you mean placing blocks along both edges of the door for extra stability then yes , you will need to stop the router just before you cut line and use a corner chisel or normal chisel. ( hope I’ve read your reply correctly)

Back