Lock out drawer slides or DIY mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a shelf which is mounted on drawer slides so it can pull forwards. It needs to be able to lock out in the forward position, and it will be subjected to some jolts so a simple 'detent out' won't quite do the trick.

The slides only need be between 300-350mm long, and they don't have to be full extension. The lock-out function though is vital.

I have found these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/VADANIA-Drawer-Runners-Extension-Bearing/dp/B07S8T7PNV?th=1) which look like they would be ideal, however are rather pricey for some drawer slides. I was wondering if anyone had modified some slides or came up with a lock out mechanism that had worked successfully.

Thanks in advance.

I recall using a full extension drawer runner system on some CD drawers I made as I wanted easy access to those at the back. They came out and click stopped at the full extension of each stage. There was a definite resistance when you went to push them back in.
Phone Hart Wholesale in Southend-on-sea, Essex who supply both Hafele and Blum. You may need an account, I'm not sure. 01702-614044.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply, i’m just not convinced that a detent would be sufficient - I am mounting a mitre saw on top of the shelf so it it moved during use it might be quite dangerous!

Sam

So I looked into the Blum Tandem and Movento slides as they sell a lock out mechanism for that, but it worked out even more expensive.

In the end I found a slightly cheaper version of what I was originally looking at on amazon Amazon Locking Drawer Slides. More expensive than I was hoping to pay but I suppose if it does the job then its worthwhile. I'll see what they are like when they arrive and go from there!

You will need seriously heavy duty slides to rigidly support the saw, the base that it’s attached to, timber being cut and the downward force of the cutting process. Probably best to have a support to put under it when extended, to take the load off the slides.

Could you mount a spring latch ( like you'd find on a door) to the drawer side? You'd then just reach over to sides and push the latch in to retract the drawer.

Two gate-leg brackets swinging out?
Or if it has cupboard below then use two open doors as brackets - I've got one like that but instead of a drawer there's a hinged top which drops down onto the top of the open doors. Like a bureau but more industrial.

You will need seriously heavy duty slides to rigidly support the saw, the base that it’s attached to, timber being cut and the downward force of the cutting process. Probably best to have a support to put under it when extended, to take the load off the slides.
Base is a fairly solid cabinet which can easily take my weight (100kg) and a good amount more, so I think that will be OK. The slides I ended up buying are rated to 68KG, so hopefully that will be substantial enough. To put it in context the saw weighs 12kg itself.

I use those heavy slides all the time when making large pull out cabinets for under stairs and other heavy drawers. At least with the 700mm ones, which I use the most, there is about 5mm of play when they are fully extended. No problem for this kind of application but that is not a very stable surface to put a dropsaw on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back