Local Timber recycling Centres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard, read and seen them on TV and a city as large of Nottingham you would expect there to be one. Can I find any on the net.... No.

Do any of you know where my nearest one would be or even one thats not listed online yet in nottinghamshire?

We want chickens and I thought that be a good use for recycled timber.

cant help with the recycling centre, but i can tell you chickens are an excellent addition to any house hold. my mum in london has a 3 bedroom house with a smallish garden she has three. there not your average chcikens they spend more time in the house and garden than in the cage :lol: . so much fun just to sit and watch, and because we handle them they will come and sit on our laps :lol:

do it!!!

adidat

We have a akita (spelling) dog which spent all his time trying to get at and (we hope) play with the rabbets. I doubt the chickens will like the dog so there going in a hut and large run. We have a very large garden so we plan a decent size run for them. While the dog is locked inside we may let them out for an hour.

We wanted 4-6. As Miss HC has a cake making business and the rabbets are all now dead, I suggested chickens to keep her egg bill down.

we have both but the rabbit is a giant one he likes nothing more than to charge into any pet and head butt them. whether its the cat or chickens, but there is usually retaliation with a quick peck.

thats a good number but a word of warning if you get point of lay chickens now they wont lay for some time because of the winter. i delivered 3 somerset chickens for her on the 30th of September and 2 only started laying last week, bloody free loaders!!

adidat

we have both but the rabbit is a giant one he likes nothing more than to charge into any pet and head butt them. whether its the cat or chickens, but there is usually retaliation with a quick peck.

thats a good number but a word of warning if you get point of lay chickens now they wont lay for some time because of the winter. i delivered 3 somerset chickens for her on the 30th of September and 2 only started laying last week, bloody free loaders!!

adidat

im no eggspert :lol: :lol:

but this is our three sorry for the poo picture

chickers.jpg

from left to right
Light Sussex (tikka) Black Rock (korma) orpington lavender (bhuna) shes the boss

theses breeds are all known for the egg laying, you need to find a local breeder and see what they got. theres tonnes of info on the net. they eat anything will walk around the garden removing slugs and worms there also wonderful at destroying flower beds :roll: . my mum feeds them a special mix to improve there egss it has ground oyster shells and so on.

adidat

Back to the eggyokes hehe

Yes shes been reading and we have contacted a couple of people that have some for sale and for free.

Do they eat there hut do you know?

if you mean chew the wood?

you may have heard hens teeth used to explain how rare something is, i will leave you to ponder that one and then you will get egg on your face :lol: when you realise how silly you have been

adidat

Have you had any problems with rodents around the chickens (namely rats). The wife hates mice/rats, and I've read on numerous forums that keeping chickens is a sure way of attracting them.

luckily my mum loves her rat

<3 brian <3

IMAG0038.jpg

but we have large pieces of pine at the bottom of the cage running along the sides, and its all sealed with very fine chicken wire, which we buried about 8 inches. so i dont think we have to much of a problem, maybe the occasional cute door mouse.

adidat

Hudson Carpentry":28f084az said:
I have heard, read and seen them on TV and a city as large of Nottingham you would expect there to be one. Can I find any on the net.... No.

Do any of you know where my nearest one would be or even one thats not listed online yet in nottinghamshire?

We want chickens and I thought that be a good use for recycled timber.

You could sign up for your local Freegle (what used to be freecycle) many a post comes in from people either having or wanting old wood, it's also free...bosshogg :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (hammer)

We have Brahmas, which are enormous, and Pekin Bantams which are one of the smallest breeds, great fun to keep and all the fresh eggs you can eat (and trade excess with neighbours!).

I built a large walk-in run with attached coop at the bottom of the garden, using wood that I got free from a bloke on Freecycle, it's broken up pallets that motorcycles were delivered on. I just had to buy weldmesh (don't use "chicken wire", foxes can chew through it surprisingly easily), and corrugated plastic for the roof. The floor is second-hand paving slabs, also through Freecycle, which stops the foxes and other varmints from tunnelling their way in, it also helps to wear the chicken's claws down so they don't need clipping.

Back