LN Skew Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
To All Plane Experts (Alf/Philly) or any other C********r out there.

I've been looking at the LN Skew Block Plane ad at the end of the write up it say the following:

Also available with an optional A-2 Tool Steel cloverleaf cross-grain nicker on the rabbeting side for an additional $25. Please specify when ordering.

What does it mean?

Thanks for your help

Waka,

The nicker is a very small blade set at right angles to the plane blade that "knifes" or scores or nicks(!) the grain ahead of the main blade so as to prevent tearout at the edge of the cut .

The clover leaf refers to a design of nicker in which three little blades are effectively cut out from a small disc. By rotating the cloverleaf on its central locking screw, a new edge is exposed - or none at all if the nicker is rotated to the appropriate postion.

Alf will have a picture - never fear.

Chris/Barry

Thanks for the info. Have to say that was quick. Yesyou both got in before Alf, She's obviously toiling away in the workshop, or the computers broken, or she's asleep, or she's hunting a picture, or

You can guarantee that she'll be along soon with links to various threads where it has been discussed before, links to pictures and links to threads on the Old Tool Archive where some guy in the States explains how to retrofit one to an old woody. :wink:

Well if you're going to be like that, I sharn't play. So there!
tounge.gif

However... Piccy, and here. The power of Google - or More Haste, Less Speed, guys...
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
If you're thinking to get one, the general consensus is to get the left-handed one if you're normal, and the right handed one if you're a leftie, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Who actually was in the workshop.
innocent.gif

Nearly forgot. These little blades are swines to sharpen.

it's nae that bad BB.... I managed with my humble Veritas honing guide...

worth it's weight in gold is the floozie...

<owner of a nickerless one...

Ohhhh.... and ummmm.... Waka.... wash yer mouth out with soap.....

Collector.....sheesh..... SOME of us manage to use them regularly.....
:p

bugbear":tmlshyxs said:
What does it mean?

25 bucks for a nicker? It means LN have set a new standard in cost per ounce of woodworking tools

BugBear

The nicker is only $8, I think the standard plane is not machined to take one and that what you are paying for.

Waka,
I tell you what, you should be more careful with the "C" word. Some of us have seen your "collection" of Lie-Nielsen's..................... :lol: :lol:
Philly :D

Waka,
The odd one???????? :shock:
Yeah, keep telling yourself you can stop whenever you like! :wink:
cheers
Philly :D

Hi folks - been away for a while for various reasons...

Waka, the above replies answer your original questions. I have one of these planes (without the nicker - it wasn't available when I got mine). 2 observations:

1. Get it with the nicker - very useful for any cross grain work.

2. It's a pipper to set up: I read all the comments about the flex at the tip on the rabbeting side without really 'listening'.... It flexes a lot: I have found this plane a swine to reliably and repeatedly set to give a really fine shaving. (I actually have a personal belief that the design is fundamentally wrong: I think the blade should be 'tilted back' toward the unsupported edge rather than pointing forward toward it. This would require you to positively hold it against the work when cutting, but would make it much more solid at the weakest point.)

That said, it does some jobs uniquely well. My favourite is setting the fence to the width of whatever stuff I'm using for boxes or drawers, and rather than faffing about with masking tape etc etc, I just paint or varnish the unassembled parts completely, and then (when dry) run the plane down the edge at a fine setting to remove the paint or varnish for glue up: quick, tidy and elegant.

Shady,

That is a great use for the tool. Reminiscent too of the way Rob Cosman uses it to creat a very shallow rebate before he cuts the tails on a dovetailed joint, to ensure proper registration for laying out the pins.

Chris - yup, you're right, I'd read somewhere that he did that, but had forgotten..

Re-reading my post shows me how long I've been off topic with respect to woodworking... 'Tilted back'.. :oops: Sheesh - please mentally replace with 'skewed', folks... :?

All once again for the responses. I did get on with the nickers (thats 2 LN's I now have Philly).

Not really had a chance to put it to use yet, but I will next month. I guess it was Rob that made me buy it when I watched him do the little rebate prior to dove tailing.

Back