LN No9 Mitre Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":12ib3hmd said:
I daresay there's someone who could make a wooden version? :D

I still use a Record 5-1/2 for shooting.
For shooting picture frames and the like, I turn to my trusty old mitre-trimmer; works both ways, without having to buy both right and left handed planes.

But I did fancy one of the LN shooting planes. I hope they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot, by discontinuing the plane. 8) :?

Two posts magically appeared!
Someone asked about tools bought in the 1960s.

I bought my first plane in '62. A Stanley No. 4 would you believe, from Hall's Tools in Birmingham, right next to where the WMP Headquarters is now situated. On the corner, there was a great Victorian themed restaurant called 'Fanny's'. Those were the days. A full kit of basic hand-tools for £15.00 (Approx) then round to Fanny's for a delicious steak and kidney pudding! :D

My sister bought me a Stanley No 4 for my 21st birthday in 1963. At that time I was naive enough to think that a plane should work out of the box apart from sharpening, which I did on an oilstone. Try as I might, whatever I did I could not get it to work. In the end, I concluded it must be my incompetence and bought a Surform! Of course, I now realise that it was bought at something close to the nadir of Stanley quality. A few years later I inherited my father's pre-war Record No5 which did at least work tolerably well for the low level stuff I was doing. 25 years on when I got serious about woodwork I dusted off the the Record, fettled it and fitted a laminated Japanese blade. I love it dearly. I never bothered with the Stanley and no longer have it.

Jim

mouppe":hndl6bjq said:
yetloh":hndl6bjq said:
It's quite a bit bigger than a block plane and primarily intended for end grain, like the LN #9, hence the low angle. The shooting plane is mainly for long grain edges.

Jim

They are both low angle and the blade widths are within 1/4" of each other. Seems like much of a muchness to me.

The weight is like 5lbs which is a lot more than the block plane, so definitely gives it a bit more heft for shooting, and the grip for shooting is great! I found it much more comfortable to use when I played with it for a bit. Nice tool really. Whether or not it is worth it for the user will be up to them of course...

Back