LN 85

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been working on a book matched panel in Andaman Padouk which had some serious tear out that would not respond to planing even with cutting angles of 60 degrees. Also tried back bevels slight improvement. However I then used the LN 85 scraper plane and the tear out was eliminated. This plane has saved me a few times when working with difficult wood.

Pete - well done for solving that problem. Sometimes you just have to scrape - some pieces of wood don't want to be planed :lol:
Philly :D

Heres the piece after scraping, parts glued with Titebond 3, of course it does not stay this colour. Your right Philly sometimes it has to be the scraper.

4520998234_8ce7e904ac.jpg

newt":kun8suf9 said:
Heres the piece after scraping, parts glued with Titebond 3, of course it does not stay this colour. Your right Philly sometimes it has to be the scraper.

4520998234_8ce7e904ac.jpg

Remember the 'Wood from Hell'?..I think scraping was the only way that really tamed it - Rob

An essential tool when working with difficult woods. Once you have a scraper plane, you wonder how you managed without it. Works every time 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

jimi43":x7bdhc03 said:
I have a toothing plane and a cabinet scraper (or three) and I was wondering what would be the benefit of the LN85 over these in succession?

Jim

Jim the only benefit over a cabinet scraper is that a scraper plane produces a flat surface, where a card scraper can produce a curved surface. You also do not get hot thumbs.

I have the Veritas No 80 which is a really good uprated version of the old Stanley model. I've been considering for some time that a scraper plane of some denomination could be added 8-[ to the arsenal under the bench. I dare say that when a job comes along with a particularly difficult timber then the idea of purchasing a scraper plane will surface again.
Trouble is...if I have the No80, do I need another one, being a shiny tool minimalist :whistle: and non-collector of these things? (Paul :lol: ) - Rob

woodbloke":2i61y0pn said:
Trouble is...if I have the No80, do I need another one, being a shiny tool minimalist :whistle: and non-collector of these things (Paul :lol: )

Well, I have the #80 style scraper and the plane and use them both. It all comes down to the size of the piece you are working on. The plane would be the right tool for, say, a table top but for smaller stuff, the #80 or a card scraper would be better.

It's futile to resist, Rob - you need the complete set........ :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

woodbloke":314kadas said:
Trouble is...if I have the No80, do I need another one, being a shiny tool minimalist :whistle: and non-collector of these things? (Paul :lol: ) - Rob

Like Yoda said: Always with you it is need... There is no need, there is only want.

hi

I have the stanley 112 & the 80 plus some of matthews card scrapers . I fully agree with paul chapmans statement it really does depend on what size timber your working on, also how big the area is that requires attention on a length of timber, it could be the hole length, or just a small patch that requires sorting . hc

David C":2c2kv45e said:
Pete,

I think you will find that your timber is African Padauk ??

best wishes,
David

David thanks for that, I did think that Anderman was now quite rare, but it was a very old piece and the seller thought it was Anderman.

Back