LN 62 scraper blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Browsing through the Axi site I noticed that LN offer a "90 degree scraper blade" for the LA Jack.

Has anybody seen this, or have any further details? Can't see anything on the LN site, and the YouTube vids on the Axi site don't show the blade or how it's used.

Cheers

Karl

Karl,

I think you will find that this is a blade with a square end. i.e. 90 degree (bevel??)

I remember using something similar in a block plane. It is almost like Bill Carters 90 degree chisels.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Thanks David - that was what I had assumed - a square end giving an ep of 102 degrees for scraping. I was just wondering how it performed, and how you'd go about sharpening it.

Cheers

Karl

Sorry for the delay.

I seem to remember that it worked well.

Must have rigged up some cumbersome assembly for sharpening, but this was certainly not pleasant and simple. This is probably why I did not pursue the idea !

Best wishes,
David

Thanks for the reply David. The thought of trying to "sharpen" a 90degree blade is enough to put me off the idea.

Glad you're on the mend.

Cheers

Karl

Sharpening a 90 degree edge is one stage in sharpening a cabinet scraper.

Normally recommended techniques include clamping the scraper in an engineer's vice and draw-filing across it, or running the edge across the side of a boxed oilstone, with the lid still on, using the box and its lid as a sort of jig to keep the blade square, lightly pinching the blade between box and lid.

AndyT":nvwe75ii said:
......................or running the edge across the side of a boxed oilstone, with the lid still on, using the box and its lid as a sort of jig to keep the blade square, lightly pinching the blade between box and lid.

First time I've heard that one Andy....wonderfully simple idea! Love it!

=D>

Jim

I can't remember where I read that one. I suppose you would get a groove in the oilstone eventually, but it should last for a lifetime's worth of scraper sharpening for any mature hobby woodworker. Are any of us mature yet, I wonder?

Back