LN #112

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCF0016.jpg

Simon,

Not precisely sure what you mean by "the frog doesn't seem to be seated correctly in the base", but if you mean the blade isn't parallel with the front of the mouth, then maybe I should have sent mine back too. But then again, I'm not sure mine's as pronounced as that (I hadn't noticed it until I went down to check). Not sure it's particularly vital on a scraper anyhow, but on the other hand you've paid your money so it should be "right". Might be worth emailing L-N direct to see what they say?

Cheers, Alf
Taking the long way round to say "Well I dunno" :wink:

Cheers for posting the pics Asleitch!

Cheers for the info Alf.....I have emailed LN to see if its me being a plonker or if it is indeed built like this for a reason.

SimonA

Mine looks rather like that too but the edge of the blade is flat to the sole (ie parallel with the sole) which is what I think is important. If the blade were slightly skewed and still parallel it would not matter, one uses these things somewhat skewed most of the time anyway.

So it would appear that everybodys is the same........I'll just have to give it another try sometime over the weekend. At least now I know its just me and not the plane, but I will have final confermation next week as I've email LN to ask them.

CHeers anyhow....

SimonA

I remembered to have a look at mine today while I was using it.... and yupp... mine's the same.
<shrugs.>
skewed or not.. it still kicks ass..

Right then ........I'm just going to have to have a real good play around with it over the rest of the weekend then.......any good tips for using it?

SimonA

Simon,

See what angle the blade cuts best at while it's still in your hand. That way you can get a rough idea of what angle you need to put it at in the plane. Saves a lot of faffing around in my - limited - experience.

Cheers, Alf

any good tips for using it?

Simon...
Hit the corners of the blade with your sharpening stone to champher them slightly. I struggled for a while getting mine to work till I re-read the L-N instructions.. I started with a very ish 15 degree pitch, made sure the blade was flush to the sole and tried it, gradually increasing the pitch till I felt the blade engage. Experience says that this blade NEEDS to be kept sharp; no secondry bevel, just hone the full face of the 45 deg. bevel. It's well worth percisting with, esp with larger scraping jobs. If you continue to pitch the blade forward without resetting the blade now and then, you'll start to cut excessivly; the blade starts to chatter terribly and the din it makes.....sheesh... cured by resetting the blade a fraction.
Takes a little getting used to but definately one of my better buys.

Back