Living with the Amish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
studders":6xcx926c said:
Dibs-h":6xcx926c said:
It's very hard striking that balance ......

Dibs

Yup, it is.

And some good link re the Electrickery, though I still don't quite 'get' their logic or reasoning behind it, almost seems like rule bending.

You mean like "you can't own one, but you can ride in one?" Car that is.

:lol: :lol: Hey it's a tad odd - but then it works for them.

Dibs

Another great episode, this time featuring a furniture workshop and a barn raising where forty people turned up to assist in erecting the oak framework

Ahhhh Electrickery!

Welcome to the 20th Century. :)

Enjoyed watching it as well, though I sensed a bit of tension between the wife and the girl?

Definitely tension there Studders.
Not surprising given the way that girl was extolling her feminist views, bit disrespectful to her host I thought

Hi all, I loved last night’s show. One of the Amish visitors was a participant in the original "Worlds Squarest Teenagers" so it was interesting to see her giving some counsel to one of the english girls.
She did get some self insight at one point realising she'd been a bit too forthright in her views, there again she seemed to go off on again the next day.
I think the idea of this show is too see whether British kids can get any benefit from taking on a different lifestyle, but of course that supposes they can shut up, listen and run with it.
As such I'm less bothered about getting answers to questions about the Amish way of life.
Finally of course I'm very jealous of the barr quartons in the framing shop!

Alan Jones":3of8d5bn said:
I didnt think there was any emphasis put on the Amish peoples religious beliefs Greg, and I thought they came across as genuinly decent people rather than religious nutters

Alan,

Good point - I didn't mean to slag them off - I just don't really get why 'religion' (or the interpretation of it) seems to be used to imply perfectly natural stuff is to be discouraged.

I definitely agree - they do seem to be thoroughly decent folk and I guess the TV wants to slightly exaggerate any 'differences' from 'normal' folk.

Greg

Eric The Viking":314afrfq said:
I think they need a spray booth though! :)

E.
...and some dust masks (unless I missed them) I didn't think a great deal of the furniture tbh, but raising that barn was something else - Rob

Back