Liverpool plane and maker question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beej

Reaction score
I have an unusual spar plane - well made - which is not much more than 6 inches long and in which the blade is pitched at a full 60 degrees. The single iron has an 'early' look about it and is by James Cam. The nose has a stamp with what could be 'SILENT' and underneath that is clearly 'LIVERPOOL', in one stamp. It has another stamp on the nose of F EVANS, in the same type face, but it was stamped in a rather random way as though it were an owners name.
So, for those with a copy of Goodman or an encyclopaedic knowledge, two questions.
Why such a steep pitch? Spars tend to be of lighter softer woods so perhaps it was used for something else?
Any ideas as to who it might be made by and when? The S is a bit of a guess, the L is good, the N and T again not clear but my best guess.

beej":e9hxcrsr said:
The single iron has an 'early' look about it and is by James Cam.
BPMs says:
Spring St, Sheffield <1781
42, Norfolk St, Sheffield 1787-1838

The nose has a stamp with what could be 'SILENT' and underneath that is clearly 'LIVERPOOL', in one stamp.
Ach, times like this I wish BPMs listed by location as well as name... I'll have a look through later and get back to you on that one.

Why such a steep pitch? Spars tend to be of lighter softer woods so perhaps it was used for something else?
It may not be a Spar plane, but rather a Forkstaff, which could well have been used on hardwoods.

Any ideas as to who it might be made by and when? The S is a bit of a guess, the L is good, the N and T again not clear but my best guess.
Hmmm, so it could be virtually anything then. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Okay, I reckon it's Samuel Lunt. The mark shown goes S, small L over a dot, LUNT; which looks awfully like SILENT.

3 Bridport St & Sir Thomas' Buildings (shop) 1823
77 Great Crosshall St & 24 St Johnston St (shop) 1825-1838
72 Byrom St 1839-1849
33 Chester St, Birkenhead 1843 >
Uncommon - not found regularly, but not rare either.

Early dates tie in nicely with the latter years of James Cam, which is helpful. :)

Cheers, Alf

Alf!
Absolutely brilliant!
I've been away for the weekend in the mountains (largely failing to trouble the local trout at all) so hadn't had a chance to have another look. As soon as I got home from work tonight I risked (it has beautiful patina) giving the mark a gentle clean with white spirits on a stiffish little oil painters brush and lo and behold: just enough better to see that Samuel Lunt it was!
And yes, maybe a forkstaff - I do have a Salaman - but it doesn't look quite the same as his illustrations. The sole is 61/2" long and the mouth exactly 2" back from the nose. In any event, it's for rounding something hard.
cheers

Back